Sunday, 5 January 2014

River Ash Ashford

River Ash
The Ash flows south eastwards

An area of 19th and early 20th housing to the east of Staines.  It stands north of the massive Queen Mary Reservoir and south of the Bedfont Lakes. There is a small town centre south of the railway line and station in Church Road.

Post to the west Ashford
Post to the south Queen Mary Reservoir

Church Road
Baptist Church. The church is moving to an old warehouse site near the current Tesco store.
Old Fire Station. This building was in use from 1905 to 1947. It is now a glass warehouse.
Royal Hart pub. Closed and in retail use
Library
Brooklands College.  This was originally built as Ashford County Grammar School, in 1911 in the then county of Middlesex. Under Surrey County council in the 1970s, became Ashford Sixth Form College. It later became Spelthorne College.  From 1992 it was funded centrally by the Further Education Funding Council for England. In 2004 the Learning Skills Council wished to modernise it and it became the Ashford Campus of Brooklands College - Brooklands being in Weybridge.

Clarendon Road
Ashford Congregational church. The church has been on this site since the 1880s
8 The Clarendon Cinema opened during the Great War. It was closed by 1945. The building is now in commercial use.

Fordbridge road
War memorial. A memorial for the Great War and the Second World War in Portland stone with a winged figure of Victory. On the sides are the names of the fallen
Roman Catholic Church of St. Michael.  It was decided to build a church in this area in the 1920s and drawings prepared by Giles Gilbert Scott. The church was used for services from 1928 but was unfinished and remained so during the Second World War. A new hall and presbytery were added in 1968.
Kings Fairway. Pub

Knappe Road
Clarendon School. Local authority primary school. The school in this building on this site was previously Echelford School.  An earlier Clarendon School in Clarendon Road was demolished and replaced with sheltered accommodation. Echelford School is now in Park Road.  This is a distinguished building on the Middlesex County Council style of the early 1930s.
Post office. Now in commercial use

Station Approach
Ashford Station. This was opened in 1848 by the Windsor Staines and South Western Railway Company. It later became part of the London and South Western Railway, which then became the Southern Railway.  On nationalisation it became part of Southern Region. It now lies between Staines and Feltham on South Western Trains.

Warwick Road
Baptist Church – this has now been demolished and sold for housing.

Woodthorpe Road
Sports club
Woodthorpe Road School. Demolished 1993
Salvation Army. Modern church and community centre
St Hilda.  This church was built in 1913 to serve the population living near the station. It was consecrated in 1928, was assigned a conventional district and eventually in 1973 became a separate parish. The first vicar came from Whitby and the design of the church closely resembles that of St. Hilda's Parish Church in Yorkshire


Sources
Ashford Baptist Church. Web site
British History Online. Ashford
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Fire stations. Web site
Middlesex Churches,
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Pevsner and Cherry, Surrey
Spelthorne College. Wikipedia. Web site
Spelthorne Council. Web site
Staines Salvation Army. Web site
St.Hilda's  Church, Web site
St.Michael’s Church web site
Walford. Village London
Wikeley and Middleton. Railway Stations. Southern Region


 

No comments: