TL 02704 06467
Where the A41, the main railway line from Euston and the Grand Union Canal are adjacent. Old gravel pits here are now fishing lakes and there are plenty of pubs and restaurants in the small village of Winkwell. There is even the grave of a highwayman.
A41 Slip Road South
Westbrook Mere. This
is an old gravel pit worked out in
the early 1900's and operated by Cranstone's. It has been used for angling since the 1920s.
It has been owned by Boxmoor and District Angling Society since 1954 and is
used by them as a carp fishery.
Bourne End Lane
The name of the
land indicates the eastern end of the intermittent Bourne Gutter stream.
This lane is
thought to preserve the line of pre-Roman Akeman Street. The name refers to a
Watercress beds alongside
Bourne End Mill
Arm. This runs down southwards to the mill and accesses the River Bulbourne
Winkwell Top Lock
Bridge. This is a key operated
swing bridge. Originally made of timber and operated by a large wheel turned by
hand. It was mechanized in 1986 but it was not possible to use
standard power operated system due to limited headroom. Access to the pub meant
the road surface could not be raised.
John Harvey & Associates used power operated vertical rams to lift
the bridge into line with the road and this is controlled with a key along with
the conventional operation of the bridge.
Winkwell Dock is
a canal narrow boat repair yard operated by Middlesex and Hertfordshire Boat
Services. They do all work on narrow boats and build new hulls to order. They
have a 36-boat lay-by marina. Before 1977 the area was a small holding.
The Anchor Pub
Bourne End Village Hall, this was built in 1926 by public
subscription and modernised in 1994, with the help of Dacorum Borough Council
Great War memorial in the form of a cross
The White Horse.
Watermill Hotel. The hotel is built around a 19th
house on the site of Bourne End Mill. The mill site dates from 1289. The house
is in red brick, with a weather boarded central block. An overshot wheel is
incorporated in the design. The hotel buildings date from 1971 by Lansley,
Mellville and Mark
Farm. Long flint wall with a VR wall post-box
in it. Includes a cider mill using apples from Somerset. The farmhouse is 17th with colour washed
roughcast walls and a timber frame. Timber barns
house in brick
1-8 The Cottages
Bourne End Lodge
West and East. 18th house divided into two homes
Cottage.16th or early 17th brick house,
White stones by Westbrook Hay entrance are the burial place of Highwayman, Robert Snooks
Pix Farm Lane
Button House. Button
Linguard demolition contractors works and yard. The firm was created in 2005 by the merger of WF Button& Son Ltd.
(established 1961) and Linguard Contractors Ltd. (established 1970).
Fishery. Lake owned by the Boxmoor Trust and operated as a commercial fishing
Pouchen End Lane
Railway bridge. This high narrow bridge carries the West Coast Main Line
railway over the lane
Pouchen End Farm
Hall, 16th or early 17th house which is shown in 17th
map as Punchin End. The date of 1864 is on a chimney stack. Before that it was
three timber framed cottages.
Stables Studio Art Centre in the refurbished
stables and barns of Pouchen End Hall,
Winkwell is a hamlet between the railway line
and the Grand Union Canal. It has cottages, a bungalow, and two big houses. The
name is thought to come from the Old English words for a corner and a well.
Cottage. 16th or 17th blacksmith's
timber framed house with brick exterior. The Forge itself was on the north side
of the house and shoed horses which worked on the canal.
Shoes Public House. 17th building with whitewashed plaster. 19th
of the pub was built in 1535 and was farm cottages with a shop at the
Behall. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web
Boxmoor and District Angling Society.
Button Linguard. Web site
CanalPlan. Web site
Movable bridges in the British Isles.
Roll of Honour. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Hertfordshire
Stables Art Studio. Web site
Three Horseshoes. Web site
Westbrook Hay School. Web site
White Horse. Web site