Bulbourne flows south eastwards
This succession of mill sites lie to the east of the town of Berkhampstead in the valley of the Bulborne stream where occupied sites lie alongside both the stream, the Grand Union Canal and the A40 road.
Post to the west Berkhamsted
Post to the south Long Green
is the original road from London to Berkhamsted replaced by the 18th
Lodge. This is now a development site of a previously derelict house and grounds.
New Lodge itself is an 18th house with 19th additions
possibly on the site of an earlier house.
Keepers Cottage. Now a private house. Early 19th house with an
entrance from a raised level at the lock side. A single-storey outbuilding is
against the canal retaining wall, separated from the cottage by a flight of
steps that lead to the canal towpath and the front of the house.
Mill Bridge – the abutments appear to be contemporary with the canal.
over the River Bulbourne
over the Canal
over the railway.
Grand Junction Canal. This section was part of the
Grand Junction Canal, built to link the Oxford Canal at Braunston with the
Thames at Brentford. It was constructed with a wide channel to encourage
commercial traffic, but its links to other canals were kept so narrow that only
the standard 2-metre craft were able to use it. It reached here in 1798.
Winding hole just South of Berkhamsted below Lock 56, but
North of Bank Mill Bridge
Bank Mill Bridge
Side Lock. This had some renovation work in the 19th and remains operational
Bullbeggers Lane Winding hole
Bank Mill Second Bridge
of the road is private and not made up
Patchwork garden with rockeries, ponds, and trees
Church. St. Michael and All Angels. An ‘iron
church’ had been opened in George Street and eventually a new church was planned
for this site in Ivy House Lane. The architect was
Philip Johnston and the materials local with flints partly dug on site and
Totternhoe stone used inside. The land was donated by Earl Brownlow. The
Foundation Stone was laid in 1908. Some features from the original church were
moved there. The iron church remained as a church hall but in the 1990 a new
hall was opened nearer the church.
Mill. This pub is in what was the Mill House. This
is an 18th house in brick. The pub opened following the closure of the mill
Mill building. The mill is likely to be the East
Mill mentioned in ancient records or the Lower Mill described in the 17th.
It was closed in the late 1890s when there had been a fire.
Mill leat, which runs eastwards from its junction
with the canal. This covers the site where there had once been a mill pond. A
dam structure reamed here until alterations in the 1990s.
The Old Mill Cottage attached to the mill building.
Data Services. Web site
Services Co. Web site.
Listed Buildings. Web site
church. Web site