Deans Brook flows south and is met from the
north west by the Edgwarebury Brook and from the west by the Edgware Brook from
which confluence it is known as the Silkstream
Busy urban area around the centre of Edgware. Some important industry, including manufacture of musical instruments
This footpath runs from Edgware Station to
Brook Avenue and is also called Stream Lane
Edgware Masorti Synagogue. The community was
established in 1984 by nine families as the Conservative Synagogue of
North-West London. It was later changed to the first Masorti-branded community
in Europe. It moved in 1996 to Bakery Path where a synagogue and community
centre were built
prefabricated steel frames and steel clad houses from the early 1920s one of
several designs developed to overcome shortages of materials and skills after
the First World War when building 'homes for heroes'.
and bridge over Deans Brook to Farm Road
path and bridge to Farm Road and West Way
Burnt Oak Broadway
This is a section of Watling Street, the
Roman road from London to St. Albans and in the Middle Ages, various tolls were
raised for tis repair
Edgware Bridge. This is where Watling
Street, A5m crosses the Edgware Brook. The bridge has always been important and
in the 14th was managed by St. Bartholomew's, Smithfield and was a wooden
bridge and in his default a toll was installed. It is also likely that there
was a ford alongside. The name of Edgware appears to be a Saxon word about a
weir belonging someone called Ecgi' and this is likely to have been here on the
Edgware Brook. In the 10th there was a weir at this point called by
a Saxon word meaning ‘the stony stream’.
Edgware Turnpike, this was there in the 19th
and there is said to be a blue plaque put up at the junction of Deansbrook Road
by Hendon Council. In 1711 the Edgware-Kilburn turnpike trust was established. The
'Edgware' tollgate was actually situated in Hendon, 200 yards south of the
Edgware parish boundary. The trust became part of the Metropolitan Turnpike Roads
Trust in 1827 and the road was disturnpiked in 1872.
453 Premier Inn. On the site of the White
White Lion Pub. Licensed in 1751, demolished
1997. In its latter days it was a music pub where acts, including The Who,
White Lion football ground. This lay behind
the pub and was used by Edgware Town Football Club which was formed in 1939 by
workers from William Moss & Sons who had taken over a sports ground
formerly used by Edgware Rugby Club. In 1979 Floodlights were installed in 1979
and following a fire in 1984 a new concrete and metal stand was built. In 2007
the ground was bought Barratt Homes and got planning consent for housing. The site is now derelict and the football
club has closed down.
391 Edgware House 18th house in brick. In
1851 it was a commercial school, with 40 boys aged 7 to 15. Now in office use.
Stables. Early 19th building attached
to, but set back from the
front of Edgware House. It is in brick with a clock turret and a weather vane.
Union School built in 1859 for 150 pauper
children. In 1930 it became Redhill Lodge, a men's home. It has now been demolished
Edgware Community Hospital – on the site of Edgware
General Hospital. In 1838 the Hendon
Board of Guardians opened Redhill House as a workhouse. In 1865, an infirmary
was built next door and in in 1924. The Hendon Union Infirmary opened in 1927
behind the school. It had an administrative block with pavilion ward blocks on
either side. There was also an operating theatre, a Nurses' Home and a
mortuary. In 1930 Middlesex County
Council took the complex over and it became the Redhill Public Assistance
Institution and Redhill Hospital. The
Hospital was then enlarged with a maternity unit and a medical block. In 1948
it joined the NHS and was renamed Edgware General Hospital and by 1954 had 651
beds and continued to expand in succeeding years. Despite public resistance, it closed in 1997.
Much of it has now been demolished. Although
the central administration block remains. The Edgware Community Hospital opened
on the site in 2005 but it is mainly outpatient. The rest of the site was sold to developers for
Deansbrook/Edgware Brook. The confluence of
the two streams is now in the hospital complex.
Edgware Ex Service men’s club. This club is
on the corner of Bacon Lane which is sometimes given as the address. In the
1890s this was the site of a public house called the Load of Hay
Lawson’s Timber and Fencing Co. Lawson
and Son was established in 1921 in North London and from the 1950s John Lawson,
son and grandson of the founders developed the fencing business. Lawson’s now
have branches throughout London and the Home Counties also acting as general
builders’ merchants, however this site is shown as a Timber Mill and Saw Mill
in the 1930s
Milestone. In cast iron
This path once formed the southern boundary
of the closed Great Northern Line railway.
Iron posts in
the ground marked GNR
The bridge over Deans Brook for the defunct
Great Northern Railway line lies between Church Way and the bus depot. It is a three arched structure of 1867 and some
original Great Northern Railway railings remained. Some other structures remained into the 1990s
– for example, on one of the bridge piers were a gantry for a colour light
signal beside the line.
The original hospital gate post at the side
entrance and much cluttered signage.
Bridge in pretty decorative ironwork where
the Edgware Brook passed under the road
Works. Boosey & Hawkes factory. In the 1930s Boosey and Hawkes merged to
become one firm. They also had links, or
had taken over a series of companies involved in the manufacture and
improvement of musical instruments and music publishers. Boosey
& Hawkes became Britain's largest maker of musical instruments making a
vast range and having bought up many trade names. During the Second World War, the Edgware factory made
components for Lancaster and Spitfire aircraft. In the 1960s, the firm
employed over 700 people here and produced over 1,000 instruments a week which
were exported round the world. The factory, by then called Besson, closed in
2001 and was bought out in 2006 by the French instrument maker Buffet
Crampon. Boosey & Hawkes continue as
music publishers. An 8 feet tall tuba, made by Besson and displayed on
their wall in Euston Road was moved to the main entrance at Edgware in 1948 and
is now on loan to the Horniman Museum
the site of Burnt Oak Field. In 1844 a Mr. Essex bought the field and laid out North,
East, and South Streets, naming the development Burnt Oak. The name has spread
to cover a much larger area to the south and east. Barnet Council later cleared
this area for new housing.
Used for homeless families
by E. Appleton and built in 1910 inspired by Hampstead Garden Suburb.
The area around
this road was used for the local fairs after they left the back yard of the
George and which had been used for buying and selling horses and cattle. The field here was called and which later
became known as fair field. This fair was held in the first week of August with
sack races, and pulling faces through a horse collar. It was last held in 1904.
St.Anthony of Padua. Roman Catholic Church
built in 1931.It is in brick and there have been additions on several occasions
since its original construction. Inside is an icon of Our Lady and the Christ
Child, commissioned for the Millennium and five stone statues of saints. The
Stations of the Cross in the church are hand-carved and there is a pipe organ
made by the John Compton Organ Company Ltd.
Presbytery. Next door to the church
Edgware Methodist church
This was previously Piper’s Green Lane and
in the 16th joined Watling Street north of its current junction.
the Duke's famous guest is commemorated in Handel Way. Was the Harmonious Blacksmith buried in the churchyard
nearby or did Handel write it while sheltering from the rain. Probably he just
played it here.
Edgware Brook intercepts the road at its southern end and runs alongside it,
behind railings, to Deansbrook Road
Edgware Junior School. Built in 1895 by the Edgware and Little
Stanmore School Board. It is almost impossible to see what the school is like
now but there was originally a clock turret over the entrance. It is said to be a rural Board School like
those designed by Ernest George.
shelter. A concrete structure was uncovered on the playing field of the school
and has since been excavated and recorded by archaeologists. The shelters were
built in 1939 by Lavender, McMillan Ltd. of Worcester Park. Shelters were
fitted with electric lighting, wooden seating and chemical toilets. A year
later heating, ventilation and better lights were installed so that teaching
could continue in the shelters uninterrupted. In 1946 the thirteen air-raid
shelters were sealed with reinforced concrete.
This covers the old village centre along
Watling Street and extends into Little Stanmore. In the 17th it was
called Edgware Highway.
1 Grosvenor House. Office block
18-24 Berkeley House.
21 Change of Hart Pub was the White
Hart. 17th building with 19th
stucco outside. Inside is timber from around 1500
25-27 Gemini House. Shishu Bhavan, This
was set up in 1976. Shishukunj is a Sanskrit word meaning a garden of children. This is a
child development institute dedicated run entirely
63/67 Casa Bucoviheaha. Timber hall house
from about 1500. It has a long, low outline and Part of it has a 19th shop
75 Masons Arms. Rebuilt here in the 1930s
War Memorial. Erected in 1920 it is a Celtic
cross in Cornish granite within nine small granite posts. It lists Edgware's 55
Great War casualties with 'Let us here highly resolve that these heroic dead
shall not have died in vain' and 'Greater love hath no man than this that a man
lay down his life for a friend'. And 'He that loseth his life for my sake shall
99- 101 17th inn
with a covered wagon entrance. This was
once the Sawyers Arms dated as 1650
105 Handel Smithy. Little timbered building
used by a memorial company. There is a story that Handel sheltered in a blacksmith's
shop here and the shop was later reconstructed and turned into a shop
This was once a pub called The Beehive.
The Boot and Spur.
First recorded in 1753 this was later known as the Boot. It was demolished in
1965. A well stood in front of it.
–white art deco parade with curved corner building. Built on the site of the
Boot and Spur pub 1960s
Cage. In the 18th
there was a small lock up confining prisoners to be tried close to the Boot
Arms. This pub stood south of Whitchurch Lane. In the early 19th it was used as
the local magistrates’ court and where hustings took place. The Court closed in
1913 when Hendon Courthouse opened and the Old Court House was demolished in
1964. The pub was once known as The Crane and reputedly the oldest pub in
England. However the first reference to it is in 1600 and there are stories of
secret tunnels and so on. In the 17th it was a coaching inn and closed
in 1929. It became a motor coach station during the 1930s.
Fire station. In
1896 a small fire engine house was built behind the Chandos Arms run by a
volunteer brigade of 10 men. The original horse drawn engine was replaced with
a motor engine by 1914 but it was burnt down in 1933.
Edgware Infant School
Now a tyre workshop, in the 1920s this was the works of the Watmel Wireless Co
Gate piers to Canons Drive. Built originally
as the entrance to Canons Park
Court. Built in the 1930s on the corner of Canons Drive
This inn was on the east side of the road and was said to date from 1454. It
also served as the manorial court house and the local fair developed from its
by George Mann
Club, with a hall hosting comedy and other events
Flats over shops with a tower.
The Mead has
terraces of houses dating back to 1902 and 1903
Company. This was on the north side in 1905 and made photographic paper under
Seltona trade name.
& Ward. Made bromide paper and other photographic materials from about
Harper & Tunstall,
makers of drawing office supplies were here from 1968
Musicals, youth theatre founded in 1997. They used a church hall until the
current site was rented and converted to a theatre in 2005.
North Road Community Centre
School – this was an annexe t The
Annunciation Roman Catholic School, in Thirleby Road.
Ltd built Old Rectory Gardens estate, with its Suntrap windows, in 1933
Sports Ground, London Transport Executive with tennis, cricket and bowls.
Partly converted to housing.
Larches. A charity established in
1995 by families for young people and adults with learning disabilities and/or
The road was now known Church Lane in the 19th
and previously Hale Lane. It is shown on a map of 1597. It comprises the crossing
of Watling Street with the route to Mill Hill and is now part of a shopping
centre around the station.
Margaret of Antioch. The parish church was first recorded in 1375 and rebuilt
in 1765, 1845, and 1928. It is said to have been part of a monastery connected
to St. John of Jerusalem with a nearby hostel for rhea monks of St. Albans. The
tower late medieval tower of the usual
Middlesex type of ragstone and embattled with a clock and six bells – these date from
1769 and were cast in the churchyard by
Thomas Janaway. The clock darted from 1756 and was an eight-day ting-tang clock
with the striking mechanism disabled in the early 20th. The
sanctuary and transepts date from 1845, by Charles Barry Jun. there is a gallery
installed for Sunday School children in 1791. There are Commandment boards and
an 18th marble font which was moved and replaced by a stove. In 1816 there was
a barrel organ, with a choice of thirty tunes and in 1850 it was converted to manual
operation with a limited range. A new organ was built in 1915 using the old
pipes. In 1907 the church was closed when three feet of water was discovered
under the nave and subsequently excavations revealed foundations of an older building.
It was reopened and enlarged considerably in the 1920s.
Churchyard. This was walled in 1597 replaced
by a fence in 1792. There are many monuments including one from 1943 in the ‘Gill
tradition’. A monument of 1908 marks the re-interment of those burials removed
from inside the church when it flooded in 1907. A plaque on the gate piers remembers
George Whitehouse whose widow had the wall and gates built. A flower bed with a
plaque commemorates the Aberfan disaster
Built in 1833 as a church school and now used as the church hall. On it,
facing the road is the word 'Truth' in large white letters.
with date plaques for 1923 and 1925,
built by Cowen and Cross in 1928
House. This was formerly Green Shield House built in 1962 by Morgan and Branch.
Shopping Centre. Built in the 1980s on the site of the goods yard and terminus of
the Great Northern Station.
Original bus garage. Built by the London
General Omnibus Company in 1925 with space for 24 buses. This was moved in 1939
to allow the Elstree extension to be built, which if course didn’t happen.
Bus garage. Built in 1939 alongside the
London and North Eastern station plus a parking area for trolley buses. Part of it covered a recreation ground which
had been between the two stations.
built in 1984 on the site of the closed LNER station at the rear of the shops
and the Broadwalk Centre. Leased in the 1990s to Transdev and Metroline. In
1993 a new washing facility was opened and some of the garage was leased by
London Sovereign, part of Transdev, who set it up as a maintenance depot.
Edgware Station. This was opened in 1867 having
been built by the Edgware Highgate and London Railway from Finsbury Park, and was
intended as an intermediate station on a line to Watford. The line was never extended
from here and the through platforms were demolished. There was a station house on the main
platform with a side platform, which was never used. Considerable works were done here for the New
Works scheme under which this station would have closed. It was on the site of
what are now Premier House and the Boardwalk shopping centre. In 1939 it was
closed and in 1961 it was demolished. The disused platform still stood in 1973 as
part of a junk yard.
Goods yard was adjacent to the station on
the south west. It had four sidings and
brick goods shed. The goods depot remained open after the station had closed
and was not itself closed until 1964. Part of this later became a scrap yard
and the goods shed remained there into the 1970s.
Engine shed and sidings which stood to the
north of the line. The engine shed was blown down in the blizzard of 1881. Nearby
was a water tower and coaling station.
Edgware Station. This was opened in 1924 the
Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway as their Edgware extension of the
Northern Line of which it was the terminus. The station design was by Stanley Heaps,
architect of London Underground Electric Railways. It is of a rural stations
design and the frint has a colonnade of paired columns. The building is set back from the
road with a circular service road in front. Platform
one was built for the never finished Elstree extension. In 1986 the station was rebuilt and modernised.
extension line. Under the New Works programme of the 1930s London Passenger
Transport Board planned to extend the line from here to Elstree and to make the
whole line part of the Northern Line. The Underground Group had purchased the
Watford and Edgware Company in 1922. It was planned that Edgware station would
have extra platforms for the Bushey Heath services. Thus Edgware would have had
six platforms serving five tracks - three platforms for trains terminating at
Edgware and three for trains to and from Bushey Heath. The extension would have
passed under Station Road, and into a cutting. A rail car shed was built alongside the station and
opened in 1924. It was demolished in 1961. The whole scheme was halted because
of the Second World War and was never restarted. It was officially abandoned in
Embankment built to join the New Works line from
Mill Hill to Edgware Underground Station. This lies the east of the bus
station. Sections of the concrete bridge survived into the 1990 but have now
Edgware Underground Depot. The entrance to it stands on the site of the
line into defunct Edgware station
Railway Hotel 1931. Truman Hanbury and
Buxton and designed by A.E Sewell architect.
neo-Tudor inn, complete with half-timbering, clustered brick stacks,
carved bargeboard, iron sun dial and decorative rainwater heads. Closed.
67 Ritz Cinema. This was built for and
Major W.J. King and designed by hims. It was immediately taken over by Associated
British Cinemas. It opened in 1932 and was to be called the Citadel
Cinema. The facade designed like a fortress but inside it had a Spanish garden
theme with stone-clad walls and painted woodland settings. Designed by F.L.
Philie. It had a Compton 3Manual/6Ranks theatre organ. There were four dressing
rooms for variety artistes. It was
re-named ABC in 1962 and closed in 1968 when the internal decoration was covering
with blue metal sheeting by C.J. Foster. In It 1973 it became a three screen cinema and
wads taken over by Cannon and renamed by them. It closed in 1993 but re-opened
as the Belle-Vue Cinema in 1993. In 2000 it was re-named Cinemax showing Bollywood
films. It was demolished in 2001 and is now a health centre and shops
Ltd. In 1900 the firm of Charles Wright
Ltd moved here from Clerkenwell. This was a pressed sheet metal into factory making
medals in the First World War, and car number plates in the 1960s – and it is
still mandatory for car number plates to use the font developed by Wrights in
1935. Closed 1972
near the junction with Farm Road. This is close to what was the proposed
junction where the line diverged to go to Edgware Underground station for the
proposed line to Bushey Heath
Station was established in here in 1865 and replaced in 1892 and again in 1932.
British History. Edgware. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Connor Forgotten Stations
Day. The London Underground
Disused stations. Web site.
Field. London Place Names
Larches. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Lost Hospitals. Web site
London Railway Record
Masorti Synagogue. Web site
Middlesex County Council. History of
Pevsner and Cherry, London North
Pevsner and Cherry, London North West
St.Anthony of Padua. Web site
Walford .Village London