The silk stream flows south east and is
joined by a tributary from the north east
TQ 20330 90739
Busy urban area adjacent to the A5. There are shops and pubs and churches - as well as converted cinemas and a street market
Post to the north Watling Estate
Post to the south Colindale
Army Church. The church was built in 1934.
Bingo. This was the Savoy Cinema built in
A. Glassman. The auditorium runs parallel to the Broadway and the
entrance block has classical stone dressings surrounding a large window divided
by stone pillars. Inside there is a stepped ceiling by George Coles who designed it in an
Art Deco style. There were 2,000 seats and the Christie organ was secondhand -
from the Rosevale Cinema, Glasgow.London
Co-operative Society Store. It eventually
became an Essoldo in 1961 but closed the same year and succumbed to bingo - the first to
operate in London.
Faced Stag, half-timbered pub with what seems to be a reputation.
Peacocks. This was the Coop’s "finest department store” opened in
1936. Clock on the tower with a plaque
St.Alphage. brick church originating in 1927
and restored in 1952 after war damage. The pulpit comes from St Mark’s,
Playing Fields. This was transversed by the Hendon Factory Branch railway. A bridge exists by which it crossed the Northern Line, and it ran to an engine shed and sidings in the south west corner of the park
Silk Stream Road
Barnfield Primary School. Built 1929 Barnfield Senior Boys’
School. In 1964 it moved to a joint school with Brent Secondary Modern School
in Sturgess Avenue. It subsequently became a primary school.
Stream Park. The park is part of the Estate. The park lies on either side of the Silk stream Park with
natural landscaping on both banks which feature trees including mature horse
Church of the Annunciation. Roman Catholic Church.
in 1928. With a dome over the crossing.
Annunciation Infant School
Primary School, built 1931.
London Transport constructed this as a new road to serve the tube station
Parade. These shops were developed in 1929-31 by Burnet Tait & Co. they
were thought to be daring at the time.
This is where Jack Cohen opened the first ever Tesco store in
Watling Market opened in 1935 with a hundred covered shops and stalls. It
now functions with a boot sale.
Burnt Oak Station. Opened 1924 it lies between Edgware and Colindale on the
Northern Line. It was originally built on the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway, to a rural station design by Stanley Heaps. It opened as Burnt
Oak (Watling) but in 1950 the name was changed to Burnt Oak. Initially
it only opened on weekdays.
Gospel Church formerly Woodcroft
Evangelical Church. Built as a Christian
Brethren church in 1927 by Sir John Burnet and
paid for by Sir John Laing who had an office at Mill Hill. Laing had a
background with the brethren in Carlisle. It stands at a focal point at the
main crossroads of the Estate.
Library. Built 1966 in concrete
British History. Hendon. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Clunn. The Face of London
Day. London Underground
Field. London Place Names,
International Gospel Church. web site
London Borough of Barnet, Web site
Gardens Online, Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Shady Old Lady. Web site