Brook flows east and south
Post to the west Stanmore Park
Post to the east Little Stanmore
Baptist Church. The foundation-stone was
laid in 1935. This had grown from a
group meeting in the Old Barn and started among workers on the new housing in
the area. The building was km brick and including a hall, classrooms, and
vestry. It was enlarged in 1963 with a bigger hall, and classrooms
First and Middle schools. Stanburn School opened on its present site in 1938 with
the junior school on the floor and the infants on the ground. It was seen as a major
design by W.T. Curtis and H.W.Burchett Middlesex County Council architects
influenced by Dudok. Stanburn, like their other schools, features a central
stair tower. There have however been extensions added since. In 1973 it was
split into First and Middle Schools and in 2010 once again became Stanburn
Junior School and Stanburn Infant School.
Shelter. In 1939 during the school Christmas holidays air raid shelters were
built in the school grounds. Trench shelters were dug on the playing field and
a blast shelter. The blast shelter was a free-standing brick building with a
reinforced concrete roof. Until 2005 the shelter was used for storage but after
that a project to restore it was set up. It now houses a collection of Second
World War memorabilia
William of York. Roman Catholic Church. This was opened in 1960. It is in brick
with a hall at the rear.
College. Further Education College, set up in 1987 and originally Elm Park
The name is said to come from the sticky nature of
the moist clay. It is a track from the pre-Roman period.
Brook - a stream flowed from sports ground to the
Whitchurch Lane junction and met joined the Edgware Brook where there was a ford.
This is now in a culvert
Amber House on the site of the Green Man pub. The final public house was built in the late 1930's . It has now been demolished
and there is housing on the site. The previous establishment known locally as
the 'Hog and Donkey'.
897 Conways 4
Medical Centre and Library. Opened 1940
and designed Curtis and Burchett for Middlesex County Council. The
library no longer functions.
Gas Works, This was originally opened in 1858 as the Great Stanmore Gas Co.
Ltd. It was built by a Mr. Penny on behalf of J.W. Chapman who also operated a
works in harrow. It amalgamated with the Harrow works in 1894 as the Harrow and
Stanmore Gas Co. whereupon it was closed. However it remained as a holder
station and booster plant, and more modern holders were built. It had no rail or water connection making the
manufacture of coal gas difficult and coal had to be delivered in carts. The
company operated a workers co-partnership scheme from 1912 . A cottage at the gas works gate is listed and
three holders remain.
Farm. First noted in 1520. The fields were
used as a tip for Marylebone rubbish until c.1920.
Marsh. This was common land and was grazed by the livestock of commoners from
both parishes. Great Stanmore and Little Stanmore. Today it is open land and an
important site for nature conservation. There is grassland some of which is mown and some scattered trees in it. There is
also woodland over a central mound and a copse around a seasonal pond. The Stanburn flows through a concrete channel in the north section and
is lined with trees and shrubs,
Chapel. An independent, Baptist, Evangelical church founded in 1932. Alfred
Reed, an underground train driver, worked had a congregation of eight in the Old
Barn, Old Church Lane and they became a church and he became the pastor. The
church grew and funds were raised for the chapel which opened in 1937. They
later built a hall and a manse, while Rev. Reed continued to work for the
Cottage Hospital. This was opened in 1890 funded by two local ladies. In 1948
it joined the NHS and became an old people’s home and closed in 1980. It later
became a residential care home for children
House. New buildings on the site which included the Old Barn and was used as a
Ground. 2 junior football pitches and 6 senior football pitches used by local
First and Middle Schools opened in 1992
Pavilion. Sports facility damaged by fire
Hall - Canon’s Community Centre. Everything from ballroom dancing to racing
Canons Community Association. Web site.
Field. London Place Names
Friends of the Earth. Gas Works sites
Honeypot Lane. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site.
Modernism in Metroland. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. North West London
Stanburn School. Web site
Stanmore Baptist Church. web site
Stanmore Chapel. web site
Stanmore College. web site
Stanmore College. Wikipedia Web site
Stewart. Gas works of the North Thames
St. William of York. Web site
Whitchurch Infants School. Web site