Edgware Brook (Stanburn) is joined by tributaries and flows south and east
Post to the north Great Stanmore
Post to the east Stanmore Marsh
Air Cadets. The cadets are in the one building remaining from the Stanmore Park
RAF Station. This is what was the NAAFI building and it now houses various youth and
community groups as well as the 2236 ATC Sqn
Park Children’s Centre
quarters for personnel at RAF Stanmore
out and built up by Frederick Gordon of Bentley Priory who named it after
himself. Gordon had come from
Ross-on-Wye, the eldest son of a decorator. Who had qualified as a solicitor
and then built up the largest chain of hotels in the world. He bought Bentley
Priory and other land in Stanmore, promoted the railway and the golf club.
Orme Lodge Day Hospital. A 19th house, Orme Lodge, was used by the
Royal Air Force in the Second World War and subsequently in 1946 bought by
Middlesex County Council in 1946 as an old people's home. It became part of the
NHS in 1948 and become a geriatric unit of Edgware General Hospital with 22 beds.
It was later used as a Day Centre for the elderly and for the Harrow Learning
Disability Clinic. T closed in 2005 and subsequently sold and is now housing.
Piers to Stanmore Park. 19th stone gate piers, square with decorations.
Golf Club. Fredrick Gordon bought the land which is now covered by the golf
course and opened it in 1893. It is on the former parkland of Stanmore Park.
Landscaping work by the Duke of Chandos in the 18th including
heightening a pre-existing mound to create a 'point de vue'. Belmont was later part of the Stanmore Park
estate and the hill is now within the golf course. It was later part of the
estate of Andrew Drummond who commissioned further landscaping work. The
remains of this landscaping remain on the golf course although there has been
subsequent planting. It appears Gordon intended it as a private course for the
use of guests at his proposed Bentley priory hotel and his circle of friends.
In 1893 working with his friend Thomas Blackwell of Crosse & Blackwell, he
turned it into a private club. Originally there were 27 holes, a full length
"men's course" and a shorter "ladies course”. Part of the land
has since been sold and leaving 18 holes surrounding the Belmont hill in the
centre of the course. The club-house was built south of Gordon Avenue in 1971
Stanmore Park RAF used the park at a balloon centre in the Second World War.
Pond – this is a relic of 18th and 19th landscaping
created by damming the Stanburn Stream. It was once a fish pond in the Stanmore
Herondale. Built 1891-2, one of a number of large houses built here after the
opening of Stanmore station. It is said to be a late work by Alfred Waterhouse
in the Norman Shaw manner. It is thought to have been constructed for a railway
director along with the associated coach house. It is now ten separate flats.
Cheyne Cottage. 1910, by Clough Williams-Ellis with a vast tiled roof. Two
cruciform chimneys and central bell cupola with a weathervane
east-west along the Edgware Brook, north of the golf clubhouse. Trees include
yews, Scots pine, oaks, and horse chestnuts. Montrose was a local house and
home of Air Marshall Dowding during the Second World War
Old Church Lane
Station. Opened in 1890 by the London and North Western Railway through the
pressure of Gordon, the owner of Bentley Priory, who wanted to use it as a
resort for posh people. There was Residents’ pressure for a ‘nice’ building here.
Built with Gothic elements in red brick it was like a little country church
with a clock tower. Inside was a single platform with cast iron and glass and ironwork
supports for the awning with the Gordon family arms. Between the junction of
Gordon Avenue and Old Church Lane. It was known as ‘The Rattler’ – and from 1950
it was called Stanmore Village to avoid confusion with the nearby London
Transport Station. In 1952 it was closed to passengers only freight for
coal and bananas and by 1964 that had all gone too as the Beeching cuts kicked
in.. Much of the station was demolished in 1970 but some of it was converted to
a private house sadly in such a way as to lose some of the eccentric charm of
the building, but there is a plaque.
depot and four sidings. From 1952 the goods shed was a banana warehouse.
house. The first known manor-house was built by John, abbot of St. Albans 1235-60. Presumably it occupied the moated site in the
medieval village, south of the site of St. Mary's church; between Old Church
Lane and the Stanburn brook– roughly at the junction of Old church Lane and
Wolverton Road. Four sides of the moat
survived in the 1830s on a farm and could still be traced in gardens in the
house. The mansion-house' recorded in 1587-8 may have been new, John Burnell
was said to have rebuilt his house there. It was taken over by the owners of
Canons in the 18th, altered and leased out. It was eventually demolished
Manor House. This was to the south in Old Church Lane opposite the junction
with Gordon Avenue. It was a remodelling in 1930 of a 19th house
called The Croft by Samuel Wallrock and
old materials were incorporated into it. It was bought by the Ministry
of Defence in 1940 and was used as a residence for senior officers in 1971.
on the site of Stanmore Village Station goods yard
British History, Stanmore. Web site
British Listed buildings. Web site.
Disused Stations. Web site
Jackson. London’s Local Railways
London Borough of Harrow. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
O’Connor. Forgotten stations of London.
Osborne. Defending London
RAF Stanmore. Wikipedia web page
Stanmore Golf club. Web page.
Stanmore Village Station. Web page