Brook rises in this area and flows south east towards the River Lee
Post to the north Goffs Oak
Post to the east Goff's Oak
Post to the south Woodgreen Farm
Post to the west Goff's Oak
Unveiled in 1920 by Admiral Hedworth Meux and has the
names of 32 men from the village killed in the Great War. Three more names were added following the
Second World War. Restore 2006.
behind the war memorial were the police station, closed. Built about 1900
Shops date from the 1890s, but the Co-op is later
Village Hall, built in 1957 as the Memorial Hall, for which there was a local fund raising campaign
Old Comrades Club. This dates from after the Great War and was originally in a wooden building, replaced in the 1950s.
Cottages from 18th adjacent to the club were destroyed in bombing. One, said to be the village school, has since disappeared also.
Nursery. Site of Darke’s Moat, medieval
Oak House. 18th
house with cemented front. Used as offices and flats. It replaced an earlier house on the site and was the home of the Goff family,
Pub. The current pub replaces a 19th building, known to have had a wheelwright as a landlord.
on the site of the anti-aircraft gun site accommodation
and administration buildings.
Site of Second World War Burnt Farm army camp and wartime
spotlight installation which had been part of Poyndon Farm. Remains of the army
camp beyond the end of the close. Cited as an ‘exceptional
survival’ and one of only ten gun sites to have survived. Its function was to
combat German bombers. In 1940 such emplacements had three inch mobile guns;
replaced later with larger ones. The site has six gun emplacements arranged
around a loop which encircles the central command post. Each has an ammunition
locker, crew shelters and concrete `holdfasts' with some gateways retaining
original steel clad gates. The command post is at the centre and includes a
Plotting Room, telephonists' quarters, offices, rest rooms and at the top three
protected positions for the Predictor, Heightfinder and Spotting equipment
there is akso Generator Block for diesel engines. There is a concrete blast
shelter, and buildings to house vehicles and equipment. There is also a large
`Nissen' hut which was probably the magazine.
Farm. Also known as Poyndon Pits or Pudding Pits - probably gravel extraction on what was part of Cheshunt Common
of Orthodox Hebrew Synagogue. This organisation was founded in 1926 "to protect traditional Judaism and is an umbrella
organisation for the charedi Jewish
community in London
Union of Orthodox
Hebrew Congregations (Adath Yisroel) Silver Street
Cemetery opened 1963. The cemetery is built on land from the Wood Green Estate after the Second World War.
Built in the 1960s and Refurbished in 2006
when it was opened by Elmer the Elephant