Thames Tributaries – the River Wandle
The Bourne tributary continues flowing underground and unseen towards the Wandle.
Post to the west Reedham
Post to the north Purley
Post to the east Riddlesdown
School converted to housing
A22 this is the old Lewes Road the ancient road into Sussex
Oakwood School. Private Catholic ‘prep’ school.
Recreation Ground. A park managed by Croydon Council. It is made up of two fields– the first taken over in 1925 and the second in 1953. A hedge runs between the two parts, once part of a field path crossing the area.
69 St.Barnabas Church. Church of 1958 replacing a 19th building
Little Roke Avenue
Mission Hall built 1903 by Ashburner. Used as a community and parish hall since 1915.
Foxley Hall. Built by oil and cake merchant, George Armstrong in 1875. It later became the property of the Densham, Mazawattee Tea, family. Since replaced by housing.
Foxley Wood. Owned and managed by the London Borough of Croydon. It is recorded as ‘Foxele’ in 1279, ‘and by the 16th it was called ‘Great Foxley’ and ‘Lyttle Foxley’. It means a ‘wood frequented by foxes'. It includes an area called Sherwood Oak. Pond with circular brick edging.
Quarry above Foxley Hall used for gravel extraction and subsequently as the municipal tip
Reedham School. The Asylum for Fatherless Children was founded by Andrew Reed in 1844 initially in Richmond. In 1856 they were able to build a new and grand school in what became known as Reedham. By 1950 it was called Reedham School but closed in 1979.
Beaumont School. On the site of Reedham School