Monday, 19 October 2009

London/Buckinghamshire border. Uxbridge

The London, Hillingdon/Buckinghamshire boundary goes northwards along the River Colne

Alder Bourne
Comes down to join the Colne, having passed under the motorway junction

The River Colne flows southwards and is met by the Alder Bourne from the north east

The Colne Brook diverges from the Colne in a southward direction

Post to the north New Denham
Post to the south Cowley
Post to the east Uxbridge
Post to the west Iver Heath


Sites on the London, Hillingdon, side of the boundary

Canal
Uxbridge Wharf - Uxbridge Boat Centre, formerly Fellows Morton and Clayton, canal carriers, with dry dock and an open sided boat-building shed, perhaps of the 1880s, with iron-truss timber roof-beams of a full 80 ft span, allowing narrow boats to be launched sideways into the canal.
Canal Bridge - there is a Second World War pill box under the bridge alongside the canal

Cowley Mill Road
Mills on which Uxbridge’s wealth was founded
Imhof's. Factory built 1961 by Taylor and Green. An elegant change from traditional factory design. It broke new ground, with works and office entrances sited side by side.
Coal post on the north side by Long Bridge
54 The Culvert pub. Gay and lesbian clientele. Closed

Culvert Lane
Cottage and Sluice which controls the sluice, through The Culvert, from the Canal to the Colne. Early 19th.
27 Victorian cottage garden

Hillingdon Grove
Mixed woodland, with pond and marsh plants

Rockingham Road,
Mill. early 19th on the Canal. Altered but retaining original character.


St. John's Road
St. John the Evangelist, Uxbridge Moor, opened in 1838 and designed by Henry Atkinson in yellow stock brick with a bell turret at its west end. One of the bells was brought from Flaunden Green and dated 1578. Chancel of variegated brick and modern vestry.
General Elliot, a late Georgian canal side inn with two canted bays.
Cottages,
National Schools, 1846, enlarged in 1889 by George Eves, yellow and red brick, with pierced bargeboards of variegated tiles. Now offices, with glazed entrance at the side. It was originally St. John's Church of England School, and was built on the glebe land via the National Society,


Sites on the South Buckinghamshire side of the boundary

Cherry Tree Avenue
Electricity sub station
Watergate Farm – Posh car sales

Gravel Pit
Sea Rangers Hut

Slough Road
Long Bridge- old bridge site bringing in the road from Slough to Uxbridge. Rebuilt before 1814. Over the Colne.
Mansfield Farm
Iver Nature Study Centre, next to Mansfield Farm and a venture by National Grid. a wildlife garden with a series of mini-habitats on a two-acre site: a meadow, woodland, five ponds, a mini-rainforest, a sensory area, the Garden of Time and Get Down to Nature - a mini assault-course

Sources
Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site
CanalPlan,. Web site
Canal Walks
London Borough of Hillingdon. Web site

No comments: