Post to the west Hornchurch
Butts Green Road
Emerson Park Station. Built in 1909 this lies between Upminster and Romford on One Railway. The Upminster and Romford Line was built as a branch of the London, Tilbury and Southend Railway, The station was opened as Emerson Park Halt on this branch line from where it connected with the main line from Fenchurch Street. On some signage it was also known as Emerson Park & Great Nelmes but later just Emerson Park. One sign installed in the late 2000s reads "Welcome to Emerson Park Halt" .There is a ramp to the street and a canopy covering part of the platform.
Road along the back of shops and including a very large car park.
Called Pett Street in 15th, and later Church Hill.
168 Wildwood. This restaurant is in what was the White Hart Inn which closed in 2006. The original inn, dating from the 14th or 15th burned down in 1872. This had had an overhanging front and a sundial on the chimney stack. It was speculated that some parts of the building came from Hornchurch Priory, which may have stood on the site previously. It was replaced with a brick-built hotel under Ind Coope. The garden had a lawn with trees and fairy lights, which were removed when the road layout was changed in 1935. The pub was again rebuilt as the present building. It had also been known as Lloyd’s No.1 (Wetherspoons); Newt & Cucumber; and Madison Exchange. Another part of the building is a restaurant called Ask.
189 Prezzo. This was the King's Head Inn. As a pub it dated from at least the 1820s and closed in 2007. This is a late 17th timber-framed building used as a coaching inn. After a fire in 1966 the exterior was restored. The pub was associated with the brewery opposite.
Poynters. This house adjacent to the brewery was bequeathed in 1616 by Anthony Rum for local charitable purposes. The site was leased for 75 years in 1968 again for business purposes
Old Hornchurch Brewery. This was on the south side of the road on a site now occupied by shops. The Brewery was founded in 1789 by John Woodfine and passed to his son and grandson. In the 1890s it was closed and reopened in 1924, taken over by Harman's Uxbridge Brewery Ltd. and sold to Mann, Crossman & Paulin Ltd. in 1925. Brewing ended in 1929 and it was demolished in 1930–
Hornchurch Youth Centre. This was at one time in buildings adjacent to the Mandarin Palace
206 Royal British Legion Hornchurch branch. Ex-servicemen’s drinking club
Air Training Hall. The cadets moved to a new unit elsewhere in Hornchurch.
War Memorial. This commemorates the Great War and is by Charles A Nicholson. Unveiled 1921. It has three steps leading to an octagonal base carrying plaques. There is a tapering shaft and cross. It says “The Great War 1914-1919. These, at the call of King & Country, left all that was dear to them, endured hardness, faced danger, and finally passed out of the sight of men by the path of duty and self-sacrifice giving up their own lives that others may live in freedom. Let those who come after see that their names are not forgotten. They were a wall unto us by both night and by day. Total names on memorial: 200
Birnam Wood Pupil Referral Unit. This is run by the Olive AP Academy
Robert Beard Youth Centre. Also run by the Academy.
This is a housing development on a site once used by small works and a depot, all unidentified
Memorial. The close is named after US Airman Samuel Kershaw. There is a dedicatory stone tablet which says: This close is named in memory of 2nd Lt Samuel E Kershaw who served with the 55th Fighter Group of the 8th U.S. Army Airforce and whose plane crashed on this site during World War Two. Born 6th February 1922 Doylestown Pennsylvania USA. Died 21st February 1945 North Stifford, Essex. Remembered.
St. Andrew’s Park
St Andrew's Park is named after the Hornchurch parish church of St Andrew. It is sited on what were once lands held by Hornchurch Priory, and subsequently by St Mary College Oxford. The ad was acquired by Hornchurch Urban District council in 1928. The park was however not set up until after the Second World War. It was reordered in 2010 with new facilities and planting
Wedlake and Dendy had an Iron Works here from 1894...The family had had works in the area from at least 1810 at Fairkytes, specializing in agricultural implements and later in the High Street. The works here, in North Street were set up following the end of a partnership. It closed in 1937
Hornchurch Fire Station. The station dates from the mid-1960s.
Langtons School. Thus originated as the Village Junior and Infants School. In National school was built in 1844 and later in 1855 A new school for girls and infants, with a teacher's house, was built in North Street on land given by New College, Oxford. In 1874 a new school was built for boys. The school board took it over in 1889and in 1902 built the current school in Westland Avenue. Built in 1902 by Adams of Southend. Original gate piers and railings .The school was enlarged in 1932 and was reorganized in 1935 for juniors and infants. It is now an ‘academy’.
Havering Sixth Form College is a sixth form college which was built on the site of Dury Falls Secondary School. It opened in 1991, and takes full-time students aged between 16 and 19.
Dury Falls School was opened in 1935 as a senior mixed council school for 500. It was enlarged in 1963–4 and again in 1974, South Havering College of Adult Education which had developed from the Hornchurch evening institute opened here in the 1930s. In 1966 it became South Havering College. It was enlarged in 1970
Brewery History. Web site
British History on line. Web site
Closed Pubs. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Historic England. Web site
London Borough of |Havering. Web site
London Railway Record
Parks and Gardens. Web site
Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
Wildwood. Web site