Post to the south Croxley Hall
Post to the west Croxley Green
Post to the east Croxley Green
Named for Charles-Barton Smith, Manager at the Dickinson Mill, Councillor and Chairman of the Rickmansworth Urban District Council.
Croxley Green Library. This is now a self service library. It originally opened in 1966 on the site of cottages, but was burnt down in 1992. It was rebuilt in 1994.
British Red Cross. Equipment loan centre and social centre.
Barton Way Play Area. Adventure playground, lots of climbing. This is part of a larger recreation area opened when the housing was built in the 1930s
Croxley Green Parish Council Offices. Very small.
Community Club. Private not for profit organisation
Company housing built for Dickinson workers from the 1890s in what had previously been called Long Row.
Company housing built for Dickinson workers and designed by George Hubbard. It was built on what had been called Milestone Field, itself part of the Common Moor.
Gardens with what may have been a bandstand provided by Dickinson. This is a rectangular green, with flowerbeds, and bordered by coniferous and deciduous trees fenced with iron railings,
5 was the first shop of Croxley Co-operative Society in 1888
Yorke Mead School.. This primary school was opened in 1974
Explore Church. Fuller Way Church. This belongs to the Christian Fellowship and was built originally as an iron church after the Second World War, replaced by the current building in 1959.
Harvey Road Junior School. Using some temporary buildings from 1938. As Croxley Green expanded rapidly in the late 1930s new families needed school places and two original schools were heavily overcrowded. Hertfordshire County Council had designated a site for a school and in 1938 a school was built with seven ‘temporary’ wooden huts for classrooms. Boys and girls of senior age shared these huts and eventually transferred to the new Durrants Secondary Modern School. Harvey Road then opened as a Junior Mixed School in 1939. The temporary classrooms were used for evacuees. A dining room was not added until after the war and 1956 four additional classrooms and a library were also added.
Long Valley Wood
Woodland managed by the parish council.
St.Oswald's Church. As the population of Croxley Green grew in the 1930’s the vicar of All Saints’ Church, though that another church hall was needed. A site in Malvern Way was thus purchased in 1936. With local fund raising and commitment the hall was opened in 1937 as a church and for social events. In 1940 it became a school for evacuee children however its use as a focus for the local community increased. In 1946 it became more independent and adjacent land was bought for a new church. A font and choir stalls were acquired from redundant churches – some from the Fisherman’s Church in Hastings. Boundaries were set for a new church and a new parsonage house was acquired. What was built was a new hall and the existing hall was converted into a new church which opened in 1962. A bell was given from the chapel of Shrodells Hospital – but it is now in Watford Museum. Shaftesbury Court, sheltered housing was built on spare land adjacent to the church.
Malvern Way School. This opened in 1949
Built as part of the earliest development of the area in the 19th and named New Road in 1898. It had originally been a cart track called Cow Lane.
216 Fox and Hounds. Built in the mid 19th this is now a Greene King house. Originally water was from a well at the back and there was a skittle alley upstairs
Rose Pub. This dated from the 1867. The site is now flats
Dickinson Institute. In 1895 the Dickinson company agreed to fund an institute for workers. A cottage at 32 Milestone Field was converted and named The Dickinson Institute, at first only for use by men. In 1896 a new hall – a ‘tin tabernacle’ - was built adjacent to it including a stage and a kitchen. The Church Lads Brigade was based there as well as the Cricket and Rifle club. There were many sorts of classes and a library. In 1904 another new building fronted onto New Road. In the Great War from 1916 to 1919 it was used as a Voluntary Aid Department convalescent home for wounded soldiers. From 1926 it was known as the Guild House – for the in-house union. In the Second World War it was used as a school for evacuees. In 1965 it was burnt down and has been replaced by The Guildhouse Flats.
Methodist Chapel. In 1866 a Mr Pierce established a Methodist Society in his own house. In 1868 a Methodist chapel was opened. A schoolroom was added in 1892 and a new chapel also built and opened the following year. A new hall was added at the back in the 1960s.
This was the original road through the area and part of the Hatfield to Reading Turnpike.
Croxley Station. This is described as part of the ‘underground railway’ but it in fact a surface rail line, albeit managed by London Underground. Opened in 1925 it now lies between Moor Park and Watford on the Metropolitan Line. The Metropolitan became interested in building a station in Watford near the new Cassiobury Park in 1912. This was to leave their existing line near Croxley Hall Farm and an intermediate station was proposed at Croxley Green. However the Great War led to the postponement of the line and the Metropolitan became part of a committee with the London and North Eastern Railway. Work on the line began in the early 1920s. The station was to be called Croxley Green despite an existing station with the same name to the east. At the site for the new station a row of cottages were demolished for this purpose. There were many delays and arguments over ownership as the line passed through land subject to current developments. At Croxley Green Station a signal box was planned with the latest type of automatic electric signalling system as well as a Goods yard where cola could be stored. The station opened in 1925 designed by the Met's architect, Charles W Clark in an Arts and Crafts vernacular style, in keeping with Metroland theme. It was managed by the Watford Joint Railway Committee with some trains worked by the Metropolitan and others by the London and North Eastern Railway. In 1933 the Metropolitan Railway became part of the London Transport Passenger Board and in 1949 this station was renamed Croxley because of confusion with the other station (which has since vanished).
Red House. Greene King pub dating from 1870
19 Duke of York pub. Now replaced by Dukes Place
Croxley Green History. Web site
Croxley Green Methodist Church. Web site
Croxley Green Parish Council. Web site
Explore Church. Web site
Evans. The Endless Web
Fox and Hounds. Web site
Greenman. A History of Croxley Green through its Street Names
Harvey Road School. Web site
Hertfordshire County Council. Web site
Malvern Road School. Web site
St.Oswald’s Church. Web site
Three Rivers District Council. Web site
York Mead School. Web site