Friday, 17 November 2017

Little Chalfont


Post to the north Latimer


Burtons Way
Loudhams Farm. There is a record that in 1256 land here was granted to Ranulf de Ludham which may be the origins of the name. In the 18th it is sometimes recorded as Lowdums. In 1820 Lord George Henry Cavendish bought it and it remains in the family. The land is divided between arable and grass with slightly more arable.
Barn.  This is an 18th timber framed  barn on a brick plinth with weatherboarding. There is a pigeon loft on the east side.
Loudhams Cottages. These were built for farm workers and were demolished in 1967 to be replaced by the Village Green.

Chenies Avenue
Old House Farm. Originally this was called Hill Farm.  In 1842 it was acquired by the Duke of Bedford and his marks are on the buildings. It appears to have been used as labourer’s  cottages.

Cokes Lane
Village Hall
Library. This was closed by Buckingham County Council in 2007 and has been volunteer run since.
Dr. Challoner’s High School. Girls Grammar. The school was established in 1962 as an all-girls' school, when the previously mixed Dr Challoner's Grammar School became an all-boys' school, due to increasing roll numbers.  It is now an ‘academy’.

Elizabeth Avenue
Little Chalfont Sports Ground – this is now a housing estate.

Little Chalfont
The name ‘Little Chalfont’ only dates from 1925

Station Approach
Chalfont and Latimer Station. Opened in 1889 this lies between Amersham and Chorleywood Stations on both Chiltern Railways Line and on the Metropolitan Line and also Chesham on the Metropolitan Line. Built by the steam hauled Metropolitan Railway which was extended to Chesham from Rickmansworth where there was a change onto a steam hauled service. It was first called ‘Chalfont Road’ and it is in now what is called Little Chalfont – which grew up round the station.  The main line went on to Amersham and Aylesbury in 1892.  In 1915 the name was changed to ‘Chalfont and Latimer’ . Electrification to Amersham and the Chesham branch was completed in 1960, with steam trains being withdrawn in 1961.  The station had a goods yard, which closed in 1966.

Station Road
Sugar Loaves Pub. This dates from  the 1930s.

Sources
Amersham Farms. Web site
Amersham Through Time
Buckinghamshire County Council. Web site
Historic England, Web site.

No comments: