Wednesday, 12 October 2016
Riverside north of the river and west of the Tower. Isleworth
Post to the south Isleworth and Richmond Old Deer Park
Post to the east Kew Gardens West and Syon Park
Post to the north Syon Lane
Housing built in 2002 on an industrial site at the back of the Coach and Horses Pub. There had been various works here but latterly it was a paint and bodywork repair shop
Gated housing estate built on the site of the Health Centre attached to Busch Open Air School
Bridge Wharf. The new buildings start with Bridge Wharf by Edgington Win & Hyne, 1981
42-46 terrace of three 19th cottages, with back gardens going down to the river. One chimney has the initials and date: “W.C, 1833”
43 Richard Reynolds House. The name of this 18th house commemorates a monk of Syon Abbey Executed in 1535 together with the vicar of Isleworth for refusing to take the oath of allegiance. He has been subsequently sanctified.
48 18th cottage. Lady Dido Berkeley lived here who is well known for her and support for Thameside above Hammersmith Bridge.
54 House built in 1985 on the site of a riverside garden belonging to Richard Reynolds House
62 London Apprentice Pub. It is said that it was once the custom for City apprentices to row here on their days off. There are claims that it dates from the 15th, but can only be shown to be from the 1730s.
58 - 60 18th cottages attached to the pub and apparently once owned by it,
Slipway. This replaces a slipway at the bottom of Park Road which was destroyed by embankment building in the late 19th. The present slipway probably dates from the 1890s .The grass plot between it and the pub is common land despite the tables and benches on it.
59 Manor House. This late 18th house is neither the manor house not is it on the same site as the real manor house. In the 20th Michael Penty, purchased the Manorship of Isleworth and re-named the family home. The house dates from 1825-30 and is the remodelling of an older house
Blue plaque on 59 to Arthur Penty an architect who worked for Raymond Unwin on Hampstead Garden Suburb and published a book on the Restoration of the Guild System.
61 Swan House. This is a late 18th stucco house, with Soanian pilasters to the top floor and a tented balcony. From 1945 until the mid 1990s it was the Vicarage
All Saints Church. This is just the carcass of a building of 1707 which was burnt down in 1943 by two young arsonists and only the 14th rag stone tower remains. It stands on the river bank a church was here in the 11th. It was rebuilt ion the early 18th following a bequest of £500 from Sir Orlando Gee, whose monument is in the church, Richmond architect, John Price remodelled a design originally by Christopher Wren who was too expensive. In 1867 a chancel was funded by Farnell, a local brewer. All of this was destroyed in the 1943 fire and years of intensive fund raising followed. The church was rebuilt by 1969 including some special memorial areas and there are some community rooms and facilities as well. There are many memorials and an ornamental sundial first erected in 1707 in memory of Susanna, wife of Col. Nicholas Lawes who was Governor of Jamaica.
Churchyard. Since the rebuilding of the church there are now memorials fixed to exterior walls, and there is an open courtyard between the old church doors and the new entrance area with grass and a small stream emanating from a font – as a fountain. In front of the church is mown grass, an herbaceous bed and shrubs in the lawn, with chest tombs among the monuments. A yew tree covers the burial site of 149 local victims of the Great Plague in 1665. Stones set in the churchyard wall record floodwater levels - The earliest is 1 March 1774, and the highest is 1928. Behind the church is an extension of 1848 now overgrown and wooded.
The Green School. In 1796 Rev. William Drake started a Sunday School in Isleworth which is the forerunner of the Green School. It was to provide an education for the children of the poor. It was funded by local gentry and was held in a house which belonged to the Duke of Northumberland. Children attended the school on Sundays but in 1823 it became a daily charity school. It moved to Park Road in 1859
Butterfield House, two early 19th houses transformed into Strawberry Hill Gothic in 1971 by Howard V. Lobb & Partners. They are on the site of Porch House built in 1705 and using stone from the demolished medieval church. It was constructed to provide an arch over the pavement making a covered entrance into the churchyard. It was church property and sometimes used as a school.
Church Wharf. This is a free draw dock and has been so since 1880. It was used by the Guinness Park Riyal Brewery to bring new vats into the brewery, transferring them to low loaders from river craft. In 2004, the fuselage of a Concorde was transferred here from a low loader on to a specially constructed barge and then towed to Edinburgh. The wharf is also a ferry landing stand and the Isleworth Ferry uses it at the weekends during the summer months.
Ferry House. A building has been here since the 17th known as Sion Ferry House in the 18th and later as Church Ferry House or Park House. From 1804 - 1806 it was leased to J.M.W.Turner. It was destroyed by Second World War bombing but its owner, had the house rebuilt.
183 Coach and Horses. This is an 18th pub leased by Young's since 1831 and one of the few remaining coaching houses of which there were many here. It was mentioned by Dickens in Oliver Twist.
Syon Lodge. This is said to be the former dower house of Syon Park. It dates from 1770 and was designed by Robert Adam for the Duke of Northumberland. It is inn Brown brick and some items are said by the owner to be from Foley House in Langham Place. It has however been recently owned by a member of the Crowther family, who dealt in historic architectural items many of which have been used in renovating the house. The house has wrought iron gates with brick piers surmounted by stone vase and here is a stable block which has had Tudor items added to it.
191-199 Park Cottages. These date from 1728-32
The Green School. From 1904 the trustees determined that the school should be a Secondary School for Girls. The building was provided by Henry George 7th Duke of Northumberland and it ipened in 1906 and the current location of Busch corner. In 1934 new buildings were opened but in 1940 the school was bombed three times. In 1951 the rebuilt school was opened. It remains an all girls Church of England Secondary School but a boys' school is also planned.
277 John Busch House, this is being partly demolished and converted into flats. This was a very large block of which the building date is not clear and which appears up until at least 1989s to have been used by National Semiconductors. Use since is unclear. It was/is a very large and austere building in the Chicago style.
John Wilmot’s Nursery. Marlborough School was built on the nursery site of John Wilmot who grew fruit for the London market. He developed a new grape in the 1830s and also a new strawberry “Wilmot’s Superb. The nursery was described as an “immense horticultural establishment” where only fruit trees fruit shrubs and strawberries were grown, plus tart rhubarb – something else developed by Wilmot in the 1820s. He also grew pineapples.
Marlborough School. Marlborough School originated here as a senior elementary school built by the Heston and Isleworth Urban District Council in 1932. It became Marlborough Training Centre in 1982 providing training in engineering, business administration, and health, care & public services. From the early 1990s it became self funding and in 1993 moved to Feltham.
Marlborough Primary and Nursery school. Marlborough School as rebuilt in 1997 by which time it was a nursery and primary school, which it remains. It appears however to have been built on a slightly different site to the rear of the original building and the part of the site nearest the road is now new housing.
280 Pine House. This was formerly in the grounds of Marlborough School. It was once the house of the steward of the Syon Hill estate; and built around 1760 for the Duke of Marlborough. . One pier has a stone and stucco pineapple on top the last reaming of once were several ornamental pineapples. It was the home of John Wilmot who grew pineapples for the London Market on the site of the school and the new houses.
Milestone. This is opposite Pine House. It is in cast iron and dates from around 1834. It is triangular in section, with an arched head inscribed ‘Isleworth Parish’ and ‘London 8’ and ‘Hounslow 2.’
Rose and Crown Pub. This pub is now closed and turned into flats. The building is 18th and it was a ‘coaching’ inn.
Smallberry Green Turnpike
This is a footpath, in two halves, running alongside the Duke of Northumberland’s River
Brentford Union Infirmary. In 1894 the Brentford Board of Guardians purchased a house and its grounds in Mill Plat from Lord Warkworth in order to build an infirmary for its workhouse. The site was later enlarged by the acquisition of other pieces of land along Mill Plat and Twickenham Road. They then built The Brentford Union Infirmary in 1896 and incorporated some of the workhouse buildings. In 1920 the Infirmary became known as the West Middlesex Hospital, with an address in Twickenham Road. After 1920 it was under the control of Middlesex County Council
Warkworth House. A new workhouse opened in 1902 to the southeast of Percy House. It was named Warkworth House and opened in 1902. By the 1930s it was a Public Assistance Institution with accommodation the mentally ill, epileptics, and uncomplicated maternity cases. In 1935 they were all transferred to Percy House and Warkworth House then incorporated into the Hospital.
Site of the old entrance to Warkworth House, this had been bricked up but is still visible.
Little Warkworth House. This was the original house on the property and was later was used as an annexe to the workhouse. In 1916 took ‘mentally deficient’ boys. It later became the School of Nursing and has now been demolished.
Ingram’s Almshouses. The almshouses consist of six terraced bungalows. They were endowed in 1664 by Sir Thomas Ingram. They were renovated and modernised in 1993.
Dundee House. This was used as a receiving house by the workhouse to the north.
Mill Plat Avenue
18-20 Vector Signs. Sign makers material in what appears to be an old garage, but has also recently been the base for a pest control business.
Modern housing on the site of Bridge Wharf
The road replaced a main road which once ran through Syon Park,
Isleworth Health Centre. This was built here in the 1950s and has now closed and been replaced by Katherine House and Busch Close
Isleworth Cemetery. This opened in 1880 as All Saints burial ground became full. It has a twin Chapel and many memorials including one to members of the Pears family
Syon Park – vehicle entrance
Green School. This was in a building at the back of the churchyard. Thus dated from 1859 when the Duke of Northumberland had building erected using money given by the Dowager Duchess. The educational standard was rather low and there was an emphasis on needlework. Girls wore distinctive green clothing which was free.
This was originally called Conduit Lane
Friends Meeting House. The first recorded Quaker Meeting in Brentford was in 1659.John Tysoe, the instigator, was be imprisoned intermittently over the next thirty years, and until in 1689 it became lawful to hold such meetings. A barn in Brentford became a meeting place. The present Meeting House was built in 1785 and the date is carved over the door. The building is in plain 18th domestic style. It has a gallery with sliding partitions at the front which can be used to close it off as a separate room, now a library. The main meeting-room is little different from the way it was in 1785, though men and women are no longer separated and now the benches are arranged in a square. In 1940 it was bombed and the building could not be used for ten years. Then a children's room and a kitchen were added...
Burial ground. This surrounds the meeting house the land having been bought for the meeting by Benjamin Angell. The Brentford Friends were connected with Kew Gardens and a number of noted botanists, including Baker and Oliver, were members of the Meeting and were buried here. These early burials were not marked with gravestones, although there is a wall plaque. The southern part of the ground was given by Sarah Angell in 1824 and had rows of headstones yew trees along one boundary. Also here are the remains of the Friends Burial Ground in Long Acre, re-interred here in 1892. In 1978 part of the grounds were leased to the Shepherds Bush Housing Association who built Angell House – one flat of which is reserved for the Resident Friend
Rose and Crown Lane
This ran from the Rose and Crown pub in London Road from the rear of the yard down to
Snowy Fielder Way
Charlotte House Care Home
This square covers only the western section of Syon Park and does not include the house
Lake. This is now managed as a commercial fishery. It was originally constructed by Capability Brown in the 1760s, and is now stocked with rainbow trout and brown trout in season. The water enjoys prolific hatches of olives, alders, sedge, buzzers and damsel flies.
Ornamental footbridge. This carries a former driveway to the house. It is a Wrought iron Bridge over the lake built in 1827-30 and designed by Charles Fowler. It was Taken from a design by James Wyatt and built by John Busch.
Pond in the south west corner.
Smallberry Green Primary School. A school here was originally opened by Heston and Isleworth Urban District Council as a Senior Elementary School for boys in 1939. This school later merged with another to become a comprehensive Isleworth and Syon School on a different site. The school now on the site is a local authority primary. It is a utilitarian looking building but with a clock tower.
181 Chequers Pub. This pub dated from at least 1825 when it also had an active stable attached. It had then a double storey bow window at the front with a balcony on top. It was rebuilt back from the road in 1933. It was recently renamed the Waiting Room but since 2010 It has been an India Restaurant.
Percy House Institution. This was Brentford District Schools for which the foundation stone was laid in 1883. It was known as Percy House and was a residential school for children from the Brentford Union workhouse on the site. In 1930 it was leased to H.M. Office of Works to store military records but in 1935 this ceased and it was used to house those who had been inmates of Warkworth House, both able-bodied and infirm, who were transferred there. Under the NHS Middlesex County Council retained Percy House for use as 'Part III' accommodation, that is, for adults who, because of age, illness or disability, were in need of care and support. It was demolished in 1978
Brentford Union Workhouse. This was built in 1837 and designed by Lewis Vulliamy. This later became the site of the infirmary. In 1897 a new workhouse was built to the south east based on a pavilion block lay out devised by W.H.Ward. This was considered state of the art at the time. In due course it became subsumed into the spreading hospital buildings.
West Middlesex Hospital. In 1930 this consisted of the old workhouse and its infirmary. It had about 400 general beds and in 1932 2o4k began on a modern maternity department. But plans for further extensions were delayed by the Second World War. Wooden huts were built instead and an emergency hospital was run by staff evacuated from St. George’s Hyde Park. An Out-Patients Depart had been established but it was small and there was little privacy. In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS and many of the buildings they inherited were very unsuitable for a hospital. By 1952 a new Our patients and casualty had been built followed by two new operating theatres but Although the Hospital was one of the largest in the country, with 1,254 beds, it was in need of modernisation and Its buildings stretched for a mile through the site. Gradually more departments were opened and specialist areas set up. A plan was made for redevelopment of the Hospital, but only the first stage – and a Medical Department and a new boiler house were built and more changes followed. In 1991 it as renamed the West Middlesex University Hospital. It had 620 beds but was still using many 19th bulldogs and a 35-year PFI deal was approved in 2001. The first phase opened in 2003 about of the half the original site having been sold. In 2013 it was decided that it would then become one of London's 'major' hospitals. There is a small garden near the main entrance called the History Centre with seven foundation stones from various hospitals within the South Middlesex Group.
Isleworth Town Primary School, the school dates from 1910. There have recently been the additions of some new buildings.
BT Telephone Exchange
Busch House. This was the retirement home of John Busch, a German from Hanover who had set up the forerunner of Loddiges’ Hackney Nursery. He had spent many years in Russia working on the gardens at Tsarskoe Selo for Catherine the Great. In the early 20th it became a school. It is a small, two-storeyed, late 18th. It has since been used by a series of schools and is now the Woodbridge Park Education Service, a pupil referral unit.
Busch House Open Air School. In 1938 an open air school for delicate children was set up in the grounds at the back of the house and some wooden buildings were provided. It ran on open air school principles until the late 1970s. It then housed Syon Park School, a small mixed secondary school which closed in 2007. The school buildings in the grounds were designed by Scherrer & Hicks in 1976. These have all gone and the site is a pupil referral unit centered round Busch House
Woodbridge Park Education Service. This is part of a service which has units around the borough. This unit deals in particular with pupils unable to return to education for medical reasons, but it is seen as a short term
This separated the workhouse separated from the Infirmary
21st Century Group. Web site
Aungier. The History and Antiquities of Syon Monastery
Brentford and Isleworth Quakers. Web site
British History on line, Heston and Isleworth. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Green School. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Ingram’s Almshouses. Web site
London Borough of Hounslow. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
Marlborough Primary School. Web site
Panorama of the Thames. Web site
Pub history. Web site
Soloman. Loddiges of Hackney.
Waymarking. Web site
Workhouses. Web site
Posted by M at 21:47