Great Eastern Railway from Liverpool Street to Shenfield
From Brentwood Station the line curves sharply north eastwards
Post to the west Brentwood
Post to the east Thrift Wood
Endeavour School. School for children with complex needs. It was opened in 1970
Four Oaks. This was Brentwood Cottage Hospital which opened around 1883 and was rebuilt in 1895, due to the efforts of Dr. J.C. Quennell. In 1921 it became part of a war memorial to men killed in the Great War and was renamed Brentwood District Hospital. In the 1930s there were plans to extend it but a 20 acre site in Crescent Drive was offered for a new Hospital which opened in 1934 as the Brentwood District Hospital. In 1947 the Ingrave Road site became a maternity hospital and joined the NHS in 1948 as the Brentwood Maternity Home. It closed in 1974. The buildings are now a housing scheme. On the southern elevation is a plaque to Dr. John Cooper Quennell, who did much to enable rebuilding of the Hospital.
Billericay Rural District Council Sewage pumping station lay on the south east side of the railway bridge. Brentwood sewage had been dealt with by the Billericay Poor Law Union.
Three Arch Bridge
Maple Community Hall
Middleton Hall Lane
Brentwood School Sports fields and ancillary buildings.
Thriftwood International Scout Camp, with purpose built facilities.
Hogarth County Junior and Infant Schools. The junior school was opened in 1954 and the infant school in 1955
Seven Arches Road
Seven Arches Bridge. This railway bridge was constructed in 1842 to 1843
In the Domesday Book the name is “Chenefield” meaning 'good lands'.
This is an area of common land which is managed by the Shenfield Common Conservators. In 1934 the government transferred the appointment of the Conservators of Shenfield Common to Brentwood Borough Council, however the Chair is nominated by the Lord of the Manor. The membership of the Conservators comprises of Borough Councillors and members of the local community. In the 19th some areas were sold off and cleared for pasture. Works for the railway in the 1840's meant a lot of change and the common was used to dump excavated soil. In 1881 commoner's rights were extinguished and it became a public park. Four oak trees were planted by four Parish Chairs in 1900 for the start of the 20th and an avenue of lime trees planted in 1895 to give work to the unemployed. The trees along Seven Arches Road were planted for the coronation of King Edward VII. A bandstand has been removed but was used by the military bands from Warley Barracks. It stood in a gravel pit near the pond. The common is now largely wooded.
Mill Pond. Provides habitats for birds and ducks, invertebrates and dragonflies and is said to have been use for milling in the 19th. A windmill stood in The Chase nearby.
The road down the north east side of Shenfield Common follows the parish boundary
Brentwood Council. Web site
British History Online. Brentwood Web site.
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site