Brent flows southwards
Post to the west Hanwell
Post to the south Hanwell
Post to the north Cuckoo Estate
11-13 has an arch
leading to workshops to the rear.
Theatre opened in 1909 operated by Electric Theatres. In 1913, it was re-named
Theatre de Luxe, and later Electric Theatre Charming. It closed in 1923. The
site became shops and subsequently flats.
8 blue plaque to painter “when did you last
see your father” William Yeames.
Station. The station was built on the
original line of Brunel’s Great Western Railway opened in 1838, but Hanwell
station was not opened until the December of that year. It was to the west
of the current station and under one of the viaduct arches – where the road
goes under the line. It was in typical
Great Western design. In 1888 District line services called here running between Mansion House
and Windsor but this ended in 1885. Great Western Railway was the first user
of telegraph in 1839 and one of the two first intermediate telegraph stations
was set up here.
station now lies between West Ealing and Southall Stations on First Great Western.
It was re-built
in 1877 in yellow brick with canopies and ironwork. The station was renamed Hanwell and Elthorne in 1896, but
became Hanwell again in 1974. An old ‘Hanwell and Elthorne” sign remains on the
platform. The Down Main platform was demolished in 1973 – this was the upper
stories of a building which ran from ground level in Station Approach. It was demolished following a fire, despite
that it had been recently listed. Work has recently been done to renovate the station.
Many original features, such as a wooden waiting room have been kept and much
of it has been carefully restored to its Great Western Railway condition.
Heath Lodge. 40 bedroom
residential care home for the elderly, built in the 1960’s. This replaced a
house of the same name
Cinema. This opened in 1911 and was always an independent cinema. In 1933, it
was re-built by F.C. Mitchell. It was re-named Curzon Cinema in 1946 and in
1951, renamed the Tudor Cinema. It closed in 1955. The building was converted
into a warehouse and in 1994, the front was demolished leaving the gutted
auditorium, and it became a motor repair garage. It was demolished in the early-2000
and flats are now on the site.
Cherington House. This was built in the 1830 with eight
bedrooms, a conservatory a coach house and vinery. It was named after a village
in Warwickshire which had connections with the original owner. The Hanwell
Local Board bought it in 1891 and by 1910 it housed the local fire station and
library as well as for many council officers. In 1927 Ealing Council used as a
welfare Centre and school clinic and it has continued to house local authority
social services departments
The Carnegie Library was designed by T Gibbs
Thomas in 1905/6. The foundation stone was laid by the Countess of Jersey,
whose family estate included large parts of Hanwell
Hanwell Green. This green is thought have
existed for several hundred years and it was contained a pond. It has some
Methodist Church. The Church originated from a Wesleyan Society class set
up in 1881. They originally set up a church in Boston Road but in 1897 a
committee was investigating a new chapel. The site was bought in 1899 but there
was a hold up and the foundation stone was not laid until 1904. With a grant of £250 from Andrew Carnegie the
Church asked Bishop and Son to provide an electric pipe organ in 1911. It
includes two church halls and an additional room.
Mellitus with St Mark. As Hanwell grew in
the early years of the 20th it was felt an additional church was needed. The parish was formed in 1908 and included St
Mark's as a chapel of ease. Arthur Blomfield was commissioned to design a new
bigger church and was named for St Mellitus, Bishop of the East Saxons who was
thought to have converted the people of Hanwell. Funds were raised from the
sale of Holy Trinity Church in Gough Square
14 Candy Filter Co. pumps, filtration
equipment, etc. this site is now covered by modern buildings
Centre. This was built in the 1970s. There is an art work on the front of the
College, kept by the Rev. J. A. Emerton, which educated boys who were to enter
the army. It seems to have opened in 1832 and closed in the 1880s. It stood on
the corner with Manor Court Road.
122-8 was once called Elm Grove. It became
an asylum in the 19th by Susan Wood whose brother in law was the first
superintendent of Hanwell Asylum. In 1879 The East India Company took this as the
"Royal India Asylum". It closed in 1892. To the side is a stable
block and coach house with cupola and clock. This is now all housing.
134 Crossways was originally called St
Vincent's Lodge and is the oldest surviving house in the area. It is a 19th
house. The garden includes mature trees and a shrubbery
136 was the lodge for The Grove which was itself
demolished. It has Gothic windows and chimneys, and was rebuilt the 1980s
Local authority housing built in 1979. A
large part of the area is held on a 999 year lease from Network Rail and is
built beside a cut and cover slab over the railway line
Drayton Manor High School. This used to be Drayton Manor Grammar School
which was founded in 1930 as a Middlesex County School serving local children. It became
comprehensive in 1975. It was built on the site of Hanwell Park
Park House was previously on the site of Drayton
Manor High School. This was a neoclassical 19th house with an estate
which covered the whole of the land northwards as far as the Ruislip Road. In
the early 1800’s it was owned by Archibald MacDonald, Chief Baron of the
Exchequer. It was bought by Benjamin Sharpe in 1848 and was pulled down in the
The name dates from the 1890s.
Fownes are said to have had a glove factory here since 1795. They were City of
London based glove makers who latterly had a large works in Worcester but it is
not known if this is the same family.
Vine Cottages. Built 1986 but earlier
cottages of the same name once stood there.
This road was developed in the 1880s with
The Great Western Railway passes over the
road on brick arches
Day Apostolic Church
This is represents one of the original
strips of land belonging to William Hobbayne who set up a charity In 1484 with
24 acres of land to be used for the poor and needy of the parish.
Village cage and stocks which erected in 1788
stood on the eastern corner of the Uxbridge Road junction. They were pulled down in 1844 and the stone
used to build the west wall of the Parish Church
Hobbayne School, in 1779 the trustees of the
Hobbayne Charity began to pay for the education of a few children, and later
started a parish school near the church. In 1807 they increased their grant and
provided a site for a new building on the west side of this road on their own
land. The school was moved from the charity land in 1855
Almshouses built in 1790 by the Hobbayne charity
on the west side of the road which it let to the parish. These were still extant
Village pump erected in 1815 to supplement
water drawn from the town well.
5-11 Boston Place Cottages early 19th
11a thought to be a cart house with stable.
Green - laid out in 1903 on the site of a
gravel pit. It is surrounded by cast iron bollards
Ebonite Co. Factory making rubber-type compound from before the 1930s. Since
replaced with housing.
Splintex Safety Glass Ltd.,
Newtex Works. The firm dated from 1928 and made laminated plate and sheet
safety glass. The company is still in business elsewhere. This site now
replaced by housing.
Boundary Stone is in a garden in Park Road. The stone was salvaged by residents and used
to be at the end of the lane.
At the end of the eastern section against
the wooden fence bordering Drayton Bridge Road. It is said that there is a sign
on an iron post is: BOUNDARY 1899 GREAT WESTERN RAILWAY CO
the town well
School. In 1902, just before its functions were transferred to the county
council, the local school board opened St. Ann’s which took children from the
northern part of the parish. It is now a special school for students with severe learning difficulties
railway is now inaccessible from this original approach road. The upside
building, and the original station entrance, was demolished in the 1970s.
However some portions of its wall appear to exist behind security fencing.
Dell. This park in a shallow depression was opened in 1912 and has
four ponds, the Conolly Monument, rockery garden and park railings. Only the plinth of the meme oral still exists and the
winged figure surmounting it has gone. The park was has good tree cover
including eucalyptus, conifers, and ponds with a thriving colony of smooth
newts. It still has its original railings and gates. Dr John Conolly was the physician of Hanwell
Asylum 1839-44 and is credited with having introduced innovative techniques of
humane treatment and non-restraint to asylums. The park was part of the grounds
of his house, The Lawn and where he later ran a private asylum. It is now part
of Brent River Park and much work has been done to improve and restore it.
40 Hanwell Conservative Club
50 St Mary's Convent, this is used by The
Sisters of St Joseph of Peace. In 1869 Baroness Weld funded a convalescent home
for poor Roman Catholic women designed by E. W.Pugin.
Lady and St Joseph Roman Catholic Church. The parish arise grew from Irish labourers working on the Great Western
Railway and it officially opened in 1853. In the 1860's a church was built,
designed by Edward Pugin but by the 1960's the church was too small. It was
replaced in 1967 by a new concrete building, in the post-war style. It has a
sculpture of the Holy Family above the main doors.
Parish Centre, which includes a Social Club
and a hall
On the site of Hanwell Bus Garage. Built as an overhead electric tram depot and
opened in 1901 by London United Tramways. It was a trolleybus depot in 1936.
Now closed and demolished.
Picture Palace. Originally built as the Coronation Hall, it became the
Coronation Hall Picture Palace in 1912, operated by Edward Davison. It had
closed by 1918. In 2008 the site was, Hanwells, a motor dealers specializing in
Rolls Royce & Bentley cars. It may have stood in the land which forms an
open space in front Lidl’s
97 Lavin’s Irish Bar. Pub.
Head ‘Built 1930’ is written right across the front. This was rebuilt in 1930 by brewers Mann, Crossman
& Paulin. The front has doors which lead to separate rooms inside - two
rooms, one behind the other and in between a small private bar. The public bar
has what is now a games room behind it. In the middle of the servery is a publican’s
private office. The toilets at the back retain their original tiling. A
staircase leads to an upstairs function room and there is what was originally
an off-sales shop - the exterior green faïence tiles extend across what is now the next door
premises. It was probably the first inn to be
established in Hanwell on the Oxford Road as and was first called the
"Spencer Arms “after Edward Spencer, who was Lord of the Manor in the Civil
War. In the 18th the Manor Courts were held here
This was an important staging point for coaches between Oxford and London. It
dates from the 18th and had since been rebuilt
a plain terrace of cottages dated 1844
169 the former
Viaduct. This was once called The Coach and
Horses and was originally built in the early 18th. It provided
overnight accommodation and part of an old stable block remain. The Manor
Courts were held here in the late 18th
lie on the Kensington cemetery eastern side denoting the Hanwell Ealing border
cemetery was open in 1855 by St. Mary Abbotts parish in Kensington, to take the
pressure off burial grounds which were almost full. It was built on land known
as East Field which included a small brook which rises from a spring in nearby
Milton Road and is culverted under the cemetery. It is owned by the London
Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It is in the 19th park style with
curving paths. Trees include yew, pine and oak with tall cedars round the edges.
The entrance from Uxbridge Road has a tall stone arch with heavy iron gates and
a lodge and a path leads to an avenue of evergreen yew, holly and box, the
chapel is near s the centre and is now disused. It is in Kentish rag stone by Thomas
Allom. Another chapel was demolished in 1972. There
are the remains of an arcade which ran between the two. There is a Great War memorial in the shape of a tall white stone
cross and a ground with war graves. It closed for burials in 1924.
Bridge. This takes the Uxbridge Road over the Brent. It was also known as the Middle Ford. This was first noted in 1396 because
of the need for repairs. It was repaired
in the 16th in stone. There were tolls from the 15th and in 1714 it
was turnpiked. In 1762 the turnpike trustees re-built and widened it again and
from 1815 it was a Middlesex County Bridge. In 1906 it was widened again and
re-faced with stone. It is now Stone with cement-filled cast iron balusters. There
are steps on the west side and on the south side, three arches of brick remain
but with 19th stonework. Two outer arches remain from a six-arch
mediaeval bridge on the south side
Cemetery. This was originally the 'City of Westminster Cemetery' and was set up
by the St. George's Hanover Square Burial Board because of the condition of the
burial grounds in the central area with cold collation and half pint of
sherry per guest
after the Metropolitan Interment Act of 1850. In 1853 Robert Jerrard was appointed
as architect bad the cemetery was consecrated in 1854. The Chapels and Offices
are of stone in a 19th Gothic style. The Chapel has a hammer beam
is the biggest in London, There is a British Legion memorial in the centre and a number of war
graves. There is also a civilian
memorial to the 200 dead of the Second World War, near the centre of the
cemetery. This includes the grave of popular singer, Al Bowlly. The cemetery
has subsequently been extended. It is still managed by the City of
Westminster's Parks Service
Clock tower. This was
erected for King George VI's coronation in 1937 and is art deco in style
housing by Ealing Architect's Department, built in 1983, around a courtyard
with a walnut tree.
Assyrian Church. In 1860
a new building was opened here which was a Baptist and Congregational Union
church. In 1952 the church severed its Congregational connexion and became purely
Baptist belonging to the Baptist Union. In 1959 it used with a Boston Road
churches united as the South Hanwell Baptist Church, and the church in the
Westminster Road was given up, it is now St. Mary’s Apostolic Catholic Assyrian
Church of the East. This church originated in the 16TH in what is
A schoolroom was built beside the Union church in 1870 and a British day school
was started in 1871I. There was a good deal of rivalry between the boys of it
and the National Schools and this continued until both were taken over by the
school board. It was closed in 1902, though the buildings were used to house
temporary council schools until the Great War
Mansions. This was the home of the Violin
Workshops of WE Hill & Sons. The buildings were built 1887-8 and 1904-6 and
closed in the 1970s. Hill’s specialised in string instruments and bows. It was founded by in New Bond Street in 1887
built on a long family history of violin making. A "Hill's"
Certificate of Authenticity was considered definitive worldwide throughout the
firm's history. Many fine craftsmen worked for the firm. and they employed
England’s best bow makers. The buildings
are now flats but the design of plaques on doorways, etc, seem to echo the
shapes of violins.
St Joseph's Catholic Primary School. This was
started in 1901 by Sisters of St. Joseph, It was recognized by the Board of
Education in 1904 and moved to new buildings in York Avenue in 1908
British History. Hanwell. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
CAMRA. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Hanwell Methodist. Web site
Kieve. The Electric Telegraph
London Borough of Ealing. Web site.
London Footprints. Web site
London Gardens Online. Web site
London Railway Record
Middlesex County council.
History of Middlesex
Our Lady and St Joseph. Web site.
Pevsner and Cherry, London North West,
St. Mellitus. Web site
Thames Basin Archaeological Group report
Walford. Village London.
Welcome to Hanwell. Web site