Pymmes Brook flows eastwards and is joined
by Muswell Stream from the south
This was once known as Blind lane
Works, The Metal Box Factory was a three-storey
between the wars building in red brick with wings of 1934 and 1938 by S.N.
Cooke. A perfumery had been bought by the Barlow family, who were metal box manufacturers
and a works built here as a laundry. Metal Box took it over from the Barlow’s –
where were running the company anyway -
by the mid 1930s it was one of their general line factories, making containers
for tobacco and, baby food as well as canned food. In the Second World War the factory
was the site of experiments and manufacture of various metal devices
Oakthorpe Dairy. Distribution site for Scandinavian milk producer Arla which incorporates British dairies like Express.
On the site of the Metal Box Factory.
parade of shops was built in stages 1909-13 by Sykes.
of The Palmadium Cinema opened by the Gale & Repard circuit in 1920. It
included a billiard hall and shops Designed by J. Stanley Beard. It had a facade of white ceramic marble with
red bricks and green tiles. There was a café by the dress circle level and a
2Manual organ. It was taken over by Gaumont Theatres in 1928 and re-named
Gaumont in 1951. It closed in 1961 and was demolished.
The Fox. The original Fox Pub was a two storey building from
the 1800’s, and was rebuilt on the same site in 1904
Alfred Herring – Wetherspoon's pub named for Victoria Cross winner, Alfred
284 Queen’s Hall
Electric Theatre opened in 1912 in a Tudor Revival style, with a half-beamed
facade. Inside the safety curtain was painted with a picture of ‘Ye Olde
Thatched Cottage’. In 1927 it was rebuilt with a plain white stone façade. In In
1967 it was sold to the Star Cinemas who closed it in 1967. It became a bingo
club, but was demolished 1971. It became a supermarket owned by Bishop's, then Iceland Frozen Food, then
Sainsbury’s Simply Food. It may now
become a library.
by the New River
Hazelwood School. A single storeyed building of 1908 and 1911. Designed
by H.G.Crothall, the Middlesex County Architect in arts and craft style.
This was Middlesex County Council open
space. It is home to a number of sports organisations among them Mayfield
Cricket Club founded in 1925, Edmonton Rovers Football Club
Crossed by both Pymmes Brook and the Muswell
379 Regents Garage. Uneedus Bus ran from the garage through the
1920s – but the bus entrance was via Regents Avenue, and the LGOC bus depot. There
was an associated laundry in the same ownership. The buildings on the north
circular have now gone but the garage behind remains. It is now Stephen’s
this was Jickocks Lane
by the New River on a narrow and restricted bridge
Polytechnic sports ground – the New River runs alongside it
Green Mosque. The Muslim
Community and Education Centre (MCEC) & Palmers Green Mosque, dates from 1995.
The organisation began work in a hut at the back of a house but in 1996 funded
by donations they were able to buy Oakthorpe Sports Ground and build a mosque
and community centre
Anne’s Catholic High School. This opened in, 1994 as an amalgamation of Holy Family Convent School and St Angela’s School for Girls.
as ‘Palmers grene’ in 1608 - which means a 'village green associated with a
family called Palmer’. A family of this name who are mentioned in local records
from the 14th. There was a Palmer’s Field here in 1204 and a road
called Palmer’s Green in 1324 but there is no record of a settlement here until
four houses were built in the late 16th. By 1801 there were 54 houses, two inns and two
farms. Palmers Green is an Edwardian suburb ‘a poor man's Muswell Hill’, and it
was developed by the same building company as Muswell Hill – that is Edmondsons.
& Cherry London North
Theatre Association Newsletter
Treasures web site
Lopresti. Exploring the New River
Mosque web site
Anne’s School web site