Thames Tributary River Mole.
The Mole continues to flow north, and now slightly east
Post to the north Leatherhead
Post to the south Norbury Park
Sewer vent pipe – a tall cast-iron column which is one of an ornate series exists, with a spiral embossed decoration near the base and a decorated section at the top.
Vale Lodge. House built on the site of the old Rectory in 1780. Listed Grade II. Now divided into four. Built of brick, stuccoed and roughcast. Home to various wealthy people and used by the Canadian Air Force in the Second World War.
Vale Lodge Stables. Riding school.
Battleborough and Stable Lodge. Listed Grade II. Coach-house to Vale Lodge, now divided into two. 18th building in White-painted brick, and some flint. There were once two arched wagon entrances,
This line of houses is surrounded by land which was part of the Leatherhead Water Works, previously Elmer Water Co.
The water works land is thought to be on the line of a prehistoric trackway called The Harroway running east-west.
Leatherhead by pass/Young Street
Young Street. This road was built to connect the A246 with Givons Grove and was built by Canadian Royal Engineers in 1941 under the command of Major Young, after whom it was named and undertaken by the Canadian Road Construction Company
Bridge over the River Mole. The Canadians built a wooden bridge which was replaced by a Bailey bridge in 1952 after flooding. A new bridge has been built since. In 1952 many Mesolithic flints were found and it is thought this may be the site of a factory. There were also some Bronze Age artifacts – flint arrowheads and a disc knife.
Railway embankment. The Canadians modified a small existing archway through the railway embankment. It was very narrow and lights were needed to regulate traffic. A new archway has been built since
Cairn by Givons Grove roundabout records that the road was opened in 1941 by William Mackenzie King, Prime Minister of Canada, and that the rebuilt road was opened in 1978 by Paul Martin, High Commissioner for Canada.
Leatherhead Leisure Centre
A prehistoric trackway called Harroway is thought to have crossed the river at this point running east-west
Built on land once part of Fetcham Grove. Opened in 1975. Swimming pool. Rebuilt/refurbished in 2006
1934 Hawthorne Leslie 0-6-0 Saddletank locomotive stood outside the centre since 1984. In 2007 sold off and bought by a preservation group.
4 Christian Gypsy – Light and Life - Church
St Mary’s Road
St.Mary’s Road estate on the site of Elm Bank House.
The Driftway (Worple Road)
At the bottom by gates of Thorncroft Manor, holy stream
Thorncroft Manor. This manor was noted at Domesday and in that period was held by various absentees but in the mid 13th became part of the holdings of Merton Priory and then Merton College into the 20th. A new timber manor house was built here in 1497. In the mid 18th it was rebuilt under Henry Crab Doulton by Taylor in a classical style. White painted render on brick over a flint plinth. Rear extension to link the manor house and stable block while making the minimal physical or visual impact on the 18th building. Many owners followed, one of whom bought the freehold from Merton College in 1904. The house was used as a private school throughout the mid 19th and for Canadian air force men in the Second World War.
The farm land surrounding the house was built to Thomas Ruggles’ model of a ‘ferme ornée’. The mansion is in an ornamental estate of 121 acres laid out in regular fields planted with trees and hedgerows. The ‘pleasure’ farm.
Former cow-house. Now garage and store. 18th building with a Tarred
weather boarded timber frame on brick plinth
Former stable, now used as a store. Probably built late 18th with a Tarred weather boarded timber frame,
Thorncroft Island in the river built by Brown in creating a canal in the mid 18th.
Shell bridge. Ornamental Footbridge linking 2 islands in River Mole. Late 18th, and perhaps by ‘Capability' Brown. Built with Flint with a Single segmental span, with, a large inverted scallop shell in place of the keystone,
Thorncroft Cottage. 19th Brick painted cream