Saturday, 4 September 2010

Thames Tributaries – the River Wandle - the Bourne tributary - South Croydon

Thames Tributaries – the River Wandle
The Bourne tributary continues through the area underground southwards towards the Wandle


Post to the north South Croydon
Post to the south Purley Oaks


Blenheim Crescent
One of a number of street names in the area relating to the battle of Blenheim 1704
38 David Lean, film director, born here in 1908.

Blenheim Park Road
One of a number of street names in the area relating to the battle of Blenheim 1704

Avon Path
There is an alley behind the houses but it is not the track bed of the Croydon, Merstham and Godstone Tramway

Brighton Road
Route of Croydon, Merstham and Godstone Tramway. Followed Brighton Road to the Red Deer and after Haling Park Road houses are on the site of the track bed. It then veered slightly west to Churchill Road
21-25 Salvation Army. Listed
63 Earl of Eldon. Street corner pub
215 Brighton Road Baptist Church
279 Red Deer pub. Behind it was the site of a gibbet in the 18th.
Taylor’s lino factory – near the Red Deer.
345 Purley Arms pub. Ornate galleried front
Green behind the pub was called Gibbet or Gallows Green
South Croydon Bus depot. Completely destroyed in the Second World War in bombing when 4 were killed and 65 buses lost – only a few sections of wall were left. This was a Tilling Depot built 1916 and replacing a depot in Southwark. It was an imposing building with a central Doric pediment. It was part of the London pool but actually owned by LGOC. The last LT open top bus operated from here in 1934. Rebuilt 1948. Now operated by Arriva.

Bynes Road
Named after the Byne family who were local landowners.
Purley Oaks Primary School
Snobs Island, housing for boot makers. 38 houses and three shops were built in this area for the workforce at John Cooper’s South End boot factory
47 dead pub
Public lavatories. Closed but still there.

Churchill Road
One of a number of street names in the area relating to the battle of Blenheim 1704.
Croydon, Merstham and Godstone Railway ran parallel between this and Brighton Road. It veers slightly west and crossed Churchill road about half way down its top arm and then runs parallel to the east side of Churchill Road

Crunden Road
Named after Henry Crunden who had a stables on the site of the bus garage.

Haling Grove
Park managed by the Corporation since 1938. The area was once part of a large estate and now has facilities –playground, prize winning flower beds, etc.

Junction Road
32 Crown and Sceptre pub.

Marlborough Road
Road name with connections to the Battle of Blenheim and the Duke of Marlborough.

Magdala Road
Lord Napier stormed Magdala in 1868

Napier Road
Lord Napier stormed Magdala in 1868

Railway Line
The track north of Selsdon Station remained in position for about a mile. This was used as a run-round line for locomotives bringing oil trains into the old goods yard at Selsdon. This facility closed in 1993.

Selsdon Road
Selsdon Station. This was built in 1885 by the London Brighton and South Coast Railway. It was on the north side of Selsdon Road and first called ‘Selsdon Road’ – Selsdon itself was two miles uphill miles away. The station had wooden buildings and platforms for trains from Woodside and those to Oxted line were linked by a footbridge and subway. It was gas lit and the ticket office was a little wooden hut. Entrances were in both Selsdon and Sussex Roads. The Woodside & South Croydon line was closed in 1935 but later reopened and electrified - the station was renamed ‘Selsdon’. In 1959 the Oxted line closed and in 1983 the Woodside line closed too. Some of the station remains but housing has taken up some of the area.
Signal box. This survived, and controlled the goods yard.
Goods Yard. This had five lines. It closed in 1968 but some of it continued to be used for the Anglo-American Oil Company depot until 1983.
138 The View pub. Was until recently ‘The Rail View”. Built in 1851, the premises were originally used by undertakers but in 1860 it was licenced. Collection of railway photographs.

St.Augustine's Avenue
This was a footpath to Haling Green when the Croydon, Merstham and Godstone Tramway was built
St.Augustine. Built 1881-4 and Designed by John Oldrich Scott in Flint and yellow Bargate stone.
Church hall. On the site of a sandpit.

No comments: