Eastbrook End

      This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked

Dagenham Road

Tom Thumbs’ pond very interesting

Bardag Lake

Eastbrook School, designs before 1965 are by the Essex County Architect.  interwar school the usual Neo-Georgian 1935

Eastbrook End Road

‘Eastbrooks’ is first mentioned in 1284,


Fox Farm north of Dagenham East Station

a large grassy mound, south-west of the Farmhouse Tavern public house on Dagenham Road. the grassland reaches north to Central Park and the grounds of the Barking College of Technology, and east to meet The Chase. 

Fels Field. The field north-west of Dagenham Road is known as Fel's Field after the farm that once occupied the area. The derelict Fel'sFarmhouse stands beside Dagenham Road 

Eastbrook Grove, a copse that represents the only native tree cover of mature age on this site/water table fluctuations, caused during gravel extraction, and then from the storm of October 1987, 

Gravel pit Immediately west of the grove is some tree cover of more recent origin. The damp depression here containing an extremely dense thicket of common sallow goat willow and crack willow was once a flooded gravel pit but the trees have very effectively dried it out, as well as excluding any ground tiora w'rth frieu deep shade.

Until 1990 the area was grazed by horses associated with the travellers' settlement on Chase Road. 

Foxlands Lane,

Foxlands is a 15th-century name which has survived.

Footpath along the allotments

Stockdale Farm, site of May and Baker works

Rainham Road

Police Station. 1962, Plain, brick with concrete frame exposed at the end, glazed in the upper floor

621 Police Station 1850. Two storeys with round-headed gauged brick arch window reveals in recessed bays.

Aventis, an extensive complex established for pharmaceutical production by May and Baker Ltd before the Second World War. From 1943 they expanded their premises to designs by Edward Mills, who created here some of the first shell concrete structures in Britain. The Canteen, of 1943-4, with its wavy roof and mil glazed facade is of principal interest. Prior to that the land was used to grow fruit for Tiptree's jam, and mired in the midst of the site is an early c19, but much altered, farmhouse.

Woodlands a c18 brick mansion with . Much extended at the rear c. 1900. Woodlands, was Scrimpshires late 18th house used as an old peoples' home


Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow