North London Line
The North London Line (ex Hampstead Junction Railway) continues in a westward direction from Gospel Oak Station
This posting covers only the north east quarter of this square
The post to the south west is Belsize Park
The post to the north east is South End
Post square to the west Hampstead
Post square to the east Gospel Oak and Gospel Oak and Kentish Town
In 1880 Thomas E. Gibb, a developer from Kentish Town bought some of South End farm and leased the rest. He wanted to build 120 small houses at 'the lower end of middle-class respectability'. He also agreed to construct a sewer. Gibb laid out this road and began brick making on the Salter estate. The first house here was completed in 1888, and by 1891 50 more had been built. By 1894 75 houses had been built by Robert Thorne, who lived at ‘Sunnyside’.
Agincourt House School. The Fleet Road site was purchased in 1877 by the London School Board for an elementary school which opened in 1879. The adjacent Agincourt Road site was bought in 1882 and opened as a junior mixed school in 1884. The infants building was opened in 1890 and one chimney of this remains. In 1953 Robert Matthew, of Camden Architects’ Department altered Agincourt to become a House Craft Centre. It was later used as Fleet Educational Centre, a cookery school and a manual training centre. Now used as a Pupil Referral Unit
Sunnyside. Home of builder Robert Thorne,
VR Pillar Box
Developer Gibb planned Constantine Road as a direct route from Gospel Oak and Kentish Town to South End Green and the Heath. Building began in 1887. The road was fully built up by 1900 by Robert Thorne.
2a studio and workshop in premises which was a dairy in the 1950s. There are granite setts in the dairy entrance.
All Hallows Church. The East End of the Church faces this road. It was begun by William Turner and completed in 1892.
Vicarage. This is opposite the east end of the church and was also designed by James Brooks and built in 1889-91. In 1891 the Vicar was the Rev Charles Mackeson.
Church Hall. This has been used Hampstead Hill Pre-preparatory School since the undercroft of the church was converted for the parish. In 2009 Camden Council leased it for ‘Educational purposes’ – to make good the shortfall in primary school places.
Laid out by developer Gibb.
Camden Ambulance Station. Built in 1971 on the site of the paper factory.
3-5 Roy Shaw Centre. Camden Council call centre and computer HQ named after long serving Camden politician.
Public Cleansing Depot, 1981. Functional metal box with exposed steel frame and corrugated cladding by John Winter
Mansell, Hunt and Catty - founded in 1891 their ‘paper mill’ was on the east side of the road on the site now covered by the ambulance station. They made a wide range of fancy and functional goods - table stationery, cardboard boxes for confectionery, Christmas crackers, confectioners’ sundries and many other items. They become major employers, finally closing in 1969. They are said to have had a subway under Cressy Road to reach an extension on the west side.
Hampstead Model Steam Laundry lay to the east of the paper goods factory, who eventually took their site over.
London Street Tramways depot. This was originally a horse tram depot built near the tram terminus. The L.C.C took them over. The depot was opened in 1914 for electric trams and had 16 roads connected to a transverse. It could hold 157 vehicles but was generally used under capacity. It was used by the military in the Great War and returned to public use in 1920. It is said that in the 1930s its use was similar to the post-war use of the Charlton ‘tramatorium’ scrap yard. It remained in use as a tram store until the final days of the London-wide system in 1949. The depot included a skating rink.
BRS depot. British Road Services used the old tramway site as a lorry storage depot from 1954.
Housing development on the tramway depot site.
L.C.C Tramway Cover. At the entrance to the Mews. These were used for to cover operating points at depot entrances and at ram ‘pinches’ and crossing places.
Tram depot buildings. The perimeter walls, entrance and offices all still stand, some in use as offices. .
Laid out by developer, Gibb. By 1894 houses had been built by Robert Thorne, and by John Sanders who lived in Lisburne Road
The boundary of the Kenwood estate coming from the Heath and the railway line goes along the end of back gardens between Lisburne and Roderick Roads.
Methodist Church and hall. There have been a number of buildings here. Some members of the Prince of Wales Road Chapel formed a society in 1875 and by 1880 decided to build a chapel at Gospel Oak. They bought a site in Agincourt Road, which was then being developed as a building estate. A chapel was built in 1882, and this building is now the used as the hall. In 1900 a new octagonal church was opened to the design of Beresford Pite. This was the last building to be made of the red brick from the Gospel Oak brickworks. This was replaced by the present chapel in 1971. There are several inscribed foundation stones on the original building.
Developer Gibb died in 1894 and the estate was finished by F.T. Binnington. Mackeson Roads is named after the first vicar of the Church of the Good Shepherd in Mansfield Road
VR Post Box
The Kenwood estate boundary eventually reaches the railway line here
L.C.C. iron boundary posts at the corner of the Road and by the railway fence.
Running Track. This is a base for the Highgate Harriers and the London Heathside clubs. This was originally a 6 lane cinder track opened in 1939. It was the headquarters of Shaftesbury Harriers. It was upgraded to a synthetic track in the late 1970s and was resurfaced in 1987. In 2001 various improvements were made.
The area bounded by Roderick, Savernake and Mansfield roads was part of the Manor of Tottenhall which lay between Camden Town and Kenwood, and belonged to St Paul’s Cathedral. In 1803, it was the site of Dairyman’s farm and belonged to Earl Mansfield. The southern boundary was the footpath from Kentish Town to Hampstead along the banks of the Fleet River. The Kenwood estate boundary now runs along the end of back gardens between Lisburne and Roderick Roads. In 1854 the Hampstead Junction Railway was built which bisected the farm land. The first houses to be built on the Earl of Mansfield’s estates included Roderick Road.
33/35 includes some original pre-Second World War railings.
Savernake Road completed in 1899.
VR Post box
Footbridge access to the over the railway heath paid for in 1895 by the London County Council
All Hallows Church was originally called the Church of the Good Shepherd, and was designed by James Brooks, and said to be his masterpiece. The east end faces Courthope Road. The church was the result of work by Charles Makeson who was a civil servant and lay evangelist at a mission hall locally. He was ordained and designated as Vicar of All Hallows when the district was set up. The original church was in Mansfield Road and land for the new church wad bought from the Earl of Mansfield in 1888 – fundraising took a long time. The foundation stone of the new church was laid by the Duchess of Teck in 1892, and Charles Mackeson died in 1899 and Brooks too died in 1901. The Chancel was designed by Giles Gilbert Scott and completed in 1914. A four-manual organ was installed a year later and the last new organ made by the Hill company, it is still in its original condition. Bells from St Stephen’s Church in Hampstead have been recast and installed here. A donation was promised from the sale of Wren Church of All Hallows the Great in 1894 but the amount received was not enough yet there was a condition that the name of the new Church should be changed to All Hallows – and there are some parts of that church incorporated. Inside near the south west corner are stones which formed the first course of one of the columns of that church from before the fire of 1666. The Pulpit comes from St.Peter, the Stations of the Cross from St.Alban, Holborn. A brick porch from 17th was installed by William Butterfield. Table and base of pillar, Jacobean, from All Hallows the Great, Thames Street.
War Memorial. Outside the church on the corner of Shirlock Road and Savernake Roads in the form of a Calvary. Stone with inscription “Pray for the souls of the servers and members of this choir and congregation of this church who died in the Great War and in whose memory this cross was dedicated Easter A.D. MCMXVIII. R.I.P.”
Lord Mansfield developed this area in the 1890s. The road joined up two pre-existing streets. It was originally called Tanser Road - this is a place in Northamptonshire near Nassingham - and was intended to cross the railway to join other streets.
VR Post Box
All Hallows. Web site
Barton. Lost Rivers of London
British History On line. Hampstead
Camden History Review
Camden History Society. Primrose Hill to Euston Road
Clunn. The Face of London,
Connor. Forgotten Stations of London
Davies. Troughs and Drinking Fountains
Day. London’s Underground
Dodds. London Then.
English Heritage. Blue Plaque Guide,
Field. London Place Names
Grace’s Guide. Web site.
Harley. LCC Electric Tramways
Hillman. London Under London,
Laurie. Beneath the City Streets
London Transport. Country Walks
Mitchell and Smith. North London Line
Nairn. Nairn’s London
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Stokes. A walk along ancient boundaries in Kenwood.
Summerson. Georgian London
Symonds. Behind the Blue Plaques
Tindall. The Fields beneath
Walford. Highgate and Hampstead to the Lea,