Highfield Pumping Station New River Co. three pumping engines. 1885 well, 371 ft. This pumping station was closed in 1962, but the pump has continued raising water for the New River intermittently since; it could well be retained after the diversion of the New River at Maidens Brook to supply water to the channel as an amenity and in times of drought. On the wall facing the main entrance can be seen a hinged metal plate, now rusting. A workshop was housed at this corner of the building and this allowed long lengths of metal to be machined. Around the comer to the right a tube is built into the wall so that long pipes may be offered up to the power tools inside
Drove road into London. a few c19 cottages among the between-the-wars suburbia of Grange Park.
286 1924-5, in a more sober Neo-Georgian, is also by Sykes
288 National Westminster. The best bank on a corner site. A triumphant essay in rusticated brick, with purple and red brick dressings, and dramatically composed chimneys, 1913 by Arthur Sykes. Sykes specialized in shops and commercial premises
397 Grouts' drapers' shop was a well-known establishment and had an enthusiastic clientele of senior citizens, some of whom travelled long distances. It has an overhead wire system to send cash from the counter assistants to the cash desk.
430-434 Whole Hog
687 Fire Station. 1915 Given character by shaped gables and a ground-floor bow
889 Green Dragon
749 Half Moon
397 Grouts'. traditional drapers' shop. With rapid wire cash railway "The Gipe'. a General and Fancy Drapers, currently selling ladies underwear, haberdashery, sheets and tea towels was founded in 1914 and the shop retains many of the original fixtures and fittings. It is still run as a family business and is famous for its large stock and excellent traditional service. It has gas lights but as with the rapid wire cash system these are not in day to day use, electric light has been introduced along with electronic tills.
St John the Evangelist, 1903-9. by John Oldrid Scott. A rich, colourful exterior with a big crossing tower and two round turrets. Plenty of flint rubble and flint panelling. Stained Glass of 1924 by J.H. Dearie of Morris & Co.: Christ in Glory above eastern and western cities. commemorates the church's chief benefactors, V. E. Walker and A.M. Baird. Much other late Morris & Co. glass. Patmos window 1918, by Frank Salisbury, dark and dramatic. Also by Salisbury the War Memorial carved by John Angel, 1920.
Vicarage, 1909, by J. S. Alder, with porch and details echoing Philip Webb.
St John's Hall is by Alder, 1908, of materials matching the church
Prior to 1952, there was situated at 85a Hedge Lane, Palmers Green, a large (rather noisy) engineering factory and foundry that specialised in making enamelled metal signs. With the introduction of more modern materials and technical skills there became less and less demand for these signs, and the factory closed down. On the site adjacent to the factory there was a sports club for their staff. This sports club - a bowling green, two hard tennis courts and a clubhouse - was sold to the local council who then put the lease out to tender
Councillor Will Warren, who was president of The Broomfield Football Club at that time, was also a member of the council and one time Mayor of the Borough. He is thought to have been instrumental in obtaining the lease Tor Broomfield. The men of the Football Club had no clubhouse of their own, so they added the sports of Bowls and Tennis to their activities and became The Broomfield Club.
The factory site was cleared and we now have as our neighbours the flats at Mintern Close.
Over the years there have