Winchmore Hill

 

Broad Walk

Rowantree House. Now two houses, with an irregular early c18 front of nine bays, two storeys and parapet

Church Hill

The Priory

St.Paul’s. 1826-7 by John Davies, on site given by Walker Gray of Grovelands. A cheap church of the commissioners’ type, aisleless, of yellow brick.  Barn-like interior with gallery and flat ceiling. Refurbished after a fire in 1844, with oak pulpit with Gothic canopies and stained glass

59 Quaker meeting house 1791. Quaker connection with Fox. Replacing a very early meeting house of 1682. Plain front of door and two windows with a pediment. Single rectangular room with simple old benches. Schoolroom and lobby added 1796, kitchen 1809, services and lobbies remodelled 1986-7. Curved entrance wall to allow carriages to turn.

Burial ground. With the founders of Barclays Bank

Woodside Cottages, near an entrance to Grovelands Park a pretty group of early c19 weather boarded houses with low-pitched slate roofs. The central single-storeyed building was the village school house

Compton Road

Baptist Chapel.  1907 rather crude. by W. Hayne, a spreading late Gothic front in brick and stone.

United Reformed church, ex-congregational 1874, polychrome brick front

Farm Road

Footbridge across New River. Narrow bridge. Immediately over the bridge on the right is a footpath which lies beside the water until just before it joins Highfield Road

New River has a pipe to take surplus water around the Farm Road bridge, returning it to the River

Fords Grove

Footbridge across New River. Narrow bridge

New River has a pipe to take surplus water around the Fords Grove bridge, returning it to the River

Green Lanes

Drove road into London

New River then runs beside the road behind the car park of Capital House; on old maps a branch of the water channel is shown approaching Green Lanes for about twenty yards but there is now no sign on the surface. At about this point is the entry to a channel, a pipe to take surplus water around the Fords Grove and Farm Road bridges, returning it to the River

Capital House, footbridge across New River from the car park. River runs behind the car park

Holy Trinity.  1906-7 largely rebuilt after a fire of 1978. built by J.S. Alder, but little of his building remains apart from the red brick saddleback tower-porch.

828 Valentino's Studio Pasta,

687 Police Station.  1915. Shaped gables

Methodist Chapel, 1912 by Aken Edward Lambert of Nottingham. A broad front in free late Gothic,

Branch Library. late work by the MCC: 1961, with multi-angular children's library

Highfield Road.

New River - footpath which lies beside the water until just before it joins the road

Bridge – a narrow twin bridge by which is displayed a Metropolitan Water Board notice quoting the Motor Car Acts of 1896 and 1903 regarding the weights of vehicles allowed to cross

Hill Crest

Myddleton Gardens

Queens Avenue

Charterhouse, - in the private car park behind water is returned to the New River by the pipe which has taken it around the Fords Grove and Farm Road bridges

The Green

The centre of the old hamlet is the irregular green near the top of the hill. Features in films 'Secrets and Lies’.

King's Head. Bold and jolly

Former village bakery with an early c19 shop front with fluted columns.

Station Road

More average Edwardian development around the junction with Green Lanes

Winchmore Hill Station. 1871. Between Grange Park and Palmers Green on Great Northern Railway. Built by the Great Northern Railway. Located in a gently curving cutting. At track level there was once a long canopy on the up side, and two small waiting shelters opposite. These were swept away and replaced by new chalet type structures in recent years. The street level building appears to be original, albeit with a modernised ticket office dating from 1976. Unfortunately this structure is incomplete, as its west wing was taken down around 1965 following subsidence.

Goods yard north of the station.

Villas. A Prim sequence downhill from the station. Detached late Victorian villas with arched doorways and a little half-timbering below the eaves.

Postmen’s Office 1904 spirited Edwardian Baroque on a miniature scale. Delightful. Canted frontispiece with blocked window surrounds.

Vicar’s Moor Lane

Polite terrace 19th with Doric details

Cottages c19th

Wade’s Hill

Weather boarded cottages

Glenwood House 18th one of a three-storey pair.

Winchmore Hill

The top of Winchmore Hill still appears comparatively rural and nicely wooded, with Grovelands Park adjoining. As at Southgate, c20 suburbia is leavened by a sprinkling of cottages and Georgian houses.  Old centre was Winchmore Lane

Congregational chapel

St Paul's church

Northern Hospital transferred to London County Council from Metropolitan Asylums Board

Office block replacing Capitol Cinema

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone