Walthamstowe

 

Billett Road

Later Warner housing in this area was laid out to conform with the UDC's town-planning scheme of 1912: between Pennant Terrace and Billet Road winding roads of garden suburb type appear in place of a straight grid of streets, and the details of the house facades become simpler

McEntee County School. 1957. Had been South West Essex Tech in Hoe Street.  Younger pupils moved into this a long three-storey curtain-walled range.

144 City Learning Centre, By Austin-Smith Lord, 2001. A cheerful, eye-catching structure, mostly timber-clad, on an ingeniously compact plan. Two interlocking polygons, each with a red monopitch-roofed drum rising above shallow sloping roofs. Teaching rooms of different sizes radiate around the drums. It stands in front of Mcentee Technical School,

Roger Ascham School, 1929 by Walthamstow Urban District Council. Old-fashioned brick porch with Baroque pediment to the name plaque above, half-timbered gable behind, with bellcote. The layout is more innovative: two wings in a Y-formation, their big gabled windows facing the playground.

Brookscroft Road

Spruce Hill Baptist Church. Originally an iron church new one built in 1911

Spruce Hill: Methodist Church site now shops

Telephone Exchange, Office of Works Baroque; stone aedicules to some of the first-floor windows. Altered top floor

Casenove Road

William Fitt secondary modern school 1962

Chapel End

Manor of Walthamstow Sarum of 1303.  Became Chapel End after 1430s when William Tyrwhitt founded a chapel here next to Salisbury Hall and dedicated to Edward the Confessor. Ruined by 1650.  1830 new chapel built by Vuillamy was dedicated to St.John. Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1805, earlier ‘Le Chapellende’ 1528, that is 'the part of the parish near the chapel', from Middle English ‘chapel’ and ‘ende’, with reference to Higham Chapel 1521, one of the two chapels once belonging to the manor of Higham., 'district by a chapel', the site of one of the two chapels of the manor of Higham Bensted in Walthamstow ‘Higham Chapel’ 1521, ‘Le Chapellende’ 152

Higham Hill Sewer rose here, going to Dagenham brook. Diverted for the flood relief channel

Chingford Road

Bus garage tramway offices. Exuberant freestyle with much terracotta, c. 1905, when Walthamstow District Council began its electric tramway system. The sheds behind replaced by housing.                                     

St. John’s Church, 1923, replacing earlier one, which fell down, one bit built later because of shortage of cash. 1924-6 by H.E Burke-Downing, replacing a chapel of ease of 1829 by Vulliamy. Decent reticent Gothic in the Bodley tradition; brown brick, three bays of aisle windows with Decorated tracery below gables. Completed 1960-1 by John Phillips with a simpler bay with rose window and five lancets under a deep arch. Drastically altered 1996 by John Goldsmith when a worship area was made above an inserted floor in the nave. Here the upper parts of the arcades are visible, with c14-style dying arches and a ceiled open roof. The chancel, stripped and divided off at the same time, retains an elaborate Dec window, carved hood-moulds and plaster ceiling with angels, Lady Chapel; organ chamber and vestry with octagonal turret.

Church hall 1916 by G.D. Hamilton.

Christ the King, RC church, 1932

Essex Hall site

Forest school, 1834

2 Fanfare Book Centre

Sir George Monoux College, Long red brick front of 1927 by Essex County Council with stone frontispiece and Jacobethan trimmings; a characteristic grammar school type of between the wars. Its style alludes to the c16 origins of the school, founded by Sir George Monoux. It became a comprehensive in 1968, a Sixth Form College from 1986, and had c. 1,500 students in 2001. Central barrel-vaulted assembly hall, now library. Classrooms around two courtyards, one with War Memorial of 1949, completed 1933 by a rear block with gym and laboratories. Later extensions behind, rationalized by the addition of The Centre, by van Heyningen & Howard, 1990, a neat square block with canteen and common room on the ground floor, with conservatory extension of 2000 overlooking a new courtyard. The upper floor has a conference room added 1997, an attractive clerestory-lit space beneath a steeply pitched open roof. Additions further by APT 2001-3. Old grammar school foundation with a chequered history

 

Kitchener Road

Wadham Lodge sports ground lodge given to Mallinson for the Methodist church

Lloyd park

Homestead moat in recreation grounds. Moat inside two fishponds. This was the grounds of a moated house called Cricklewoods.  A perimeter walk remains around the moat, which is crossed by a c19 rustic iron footbridge.

Pavilion built by Borough in 1937 and modernised in 1965.

Waltham Forest Theatre built here in 1965. Car park on the island. Incongruous.

 

Monoux Grove

On the site of the house called Moones or Mones in the 16th century, and Moons on the Ordnance Survey map of 1805, so named from Sir George Monoux, Lord Mayor of London in 1514, who lived here.

Penhyrn Crescent

Matthew’s Memorial Methodist Church, Men’s Own Brotherhood, Chapel End, opened in 1930s, youth work buildings in 1960s

Roberts Road

Chapel End Infants School new buildings in 1960. Red-tiled roofs, polygonal stepped plan. 1970s.

Salisbury Hall Farm, Sale for the railway

Stoneydown gardens bought by the council in 1920

Wadham Road

Chapel End Hall originally Methodists in an ex-skittle alley and then in 1930s. The Primitive Methodists

Was Blind Lane leading from Chapel End top Hale End

Wadham Hall was at one time a Primitive Methodist church then taken over by Brethren.

Electricity sub station

Viaduct over the north circular. Owen Williams 1920s

Wadham Road

Slip – part of the road survives as the only remaining portion of the North Circular Road built by Owen Williams in the 1920s.  This bit of the original road is the slip for local traffic alongside the new road.  The viaduct crosses the main Liverpool Street – Chingford Railway Line. It has raked pier supports with rough cast surface

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone