London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Adjoining the Waterside Centre. It
was created when the course of the river was altered under the River Wey
Improvement Scheme of the 1930s with the making of a short straight cut. only
the 'new' cut and the old river bed and towpath belong to the Navigation.
Old Farm Road
Slyfield Farm. Beyond
a big, two-gabled brick and timber house of c.1600, disused and threatened with
south of the river
Ladymeada farm was once here but
little used except for grazing, often by the horses of gypsies.
In the Dark Ages Stoke was a minster – founded by a king
and comprising of a group of priests responsible for a whole area.
Stoke Mill. There were both corn and
paper mills here before the river was made navigable but the present building
dates from 1879.There had been a paper
mill here in 1630. In the 19th it was aflour mill anmd most if not all the corn
arrived by barge - it was one of the Navigation's best customers. Imported grain
came from the London Docks up the Thames to Weybridge, then had to travel
nearly the whole length of the Wey Navigation and it thus paid a high toll
rate. The mill had a link with the barge operating Stevens family - In the
1880s the miller's name was Bowyer andJohn, one of the sons of H William Stevens & Sons, bargemasters,
married, the miller's daughter in1881. Since milling ceased here in 1957 the
building has had a variety of uses including paint manufacture. It has Five stories and there is a with a hoist. Imposing Victorian mill with different coloured
bricks worked into the design.By H. Moon, 1879. It was re-furbished as
offices for the Crown Prosecution Service but then became the offices of
The ditch was a scheme of Sir Richard Weston in Sutton
Park in 1618It was an artificial
channel from Stoke Mills at Guildford to Wareham’s Farm via the park and
Jacobswell.Water from the ditch was
used to irrigate meadows.
from the Rowbarge.
The river here runs roughly east-west
but turns through 90 degrees to approach the centre of Guildford. This
right-angle bend was once some 200 yards further upstream. The river has been
moved twice. In 1838 the railway from Nine Elms to Southampton reached Woking and in 1845 a
branch was built to Guildford. The route for the last three miles into
Guildford was to follow a straight north-south line but when this came to be
laid it was found to run too close to the Wey. Rather than move the line away
from the river it was decided to move the river away from the railway. The
course of the river then became that shown on the Ordnance Survey Explorer map)
bordered by purple lines to indicate that it is National Trust property. There
has now been a further change made in the 1980s, as part of the A3 Guildford
By-pass By-pass. This second alteration to the river was to enable the new road
to run under the railway and cross over the river.
Stoke Bridges. There are two bridges at Stoke. The road from
Guildford to Woking first crosses the natural river leading to the mill and
this bridge has long been a public responsibility. The road then crosses what was, in 1619, Sir
Richard Weston's flowing river and, from 1653, the Wey Navigation. This bridge
had to be provided by Sir Richard and subsequently maintained by the
Navigation. Surrey County Council is now responsible for both these bridges.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by