Named from Grovelands House built in 1797 and marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887. Earlier it was called ‘Southgate Grove’ and probably associated with ‘Le Grofe’ c.1500, from Old English ‘grafa’ - 'a grove or copse'. The park, now public , was landscaped by Humphrey Repton in the early 19th . Former coppices which were part of Enfield Chase remain. Deer park.
Grovelands House. Built as Southgate Grove
by Nash in 1797 for Walker Gray, a relation of the Walkers, brandy merchants, at Arnos Grove. The Taylors of Taylor Walker, Brewers, lived
here and later. William Curtis. Birdcage
room. 1798 gates. It was used as a Military Hospital in The Great War 1916-1977. Later became a
private psychiatric hospital and now is Grovelands Priory, a psychiatric hospital.
Gardens and grounds.
Old tower in the park.