London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
by Edmondson's on the Southgate House estate with suburban housing of
between the wars, spaciously planned picturesque medley of half-timbered,
roughcast and gables overlooking a
an example of 1930s suburban housing. Quite classy pairs, alternating
between bold windows and Baillie Scott-derived jettied gables. Good detail -
tiled arches, stained glass, leaded casements j
south gate of the Chase was nearby
White Hart low, hintS at the older village
151 Sir Thomas Lipton Memorial Hostel.This stands in its own grounds and is the site of the big house owned in
1652 the house by the Hadley family. In 1808 John Kingston built a new house
and sold it and in 1893 it was the home of Thomas Lipton the grocer. When
Lipton died the estate was sold for development but he said the house was to
become a home for nurses.It is in
yellow brick with stucco trim and has
three storeys, with later additions
St.Andrew. 1903.Extensions etc. In
five acres of grounds.Designed by
Rowland Barker who lived at Southgate Green
Oaktree School.Special School
1965.Low building in woodland with
striking zigzagging roof
the village can still be traced: between the suburban developments is a
straggle of cottages and smarter Georgian houses
stretches towards Southgate Green.
15-17a simple early c19
34 Arms and Militaria Bookshop
107-109 an early c19 pair, a three-tiered
five-bay block with blind central window; mid-c19 stucco.
111-115, a group of c. 1800, with
three-storey centre and lower side parts.
117 weather boarded. in front an older scale asserts itself:
Ellington Court.Progressive flats of 1937 by Frederick Gibberd but more
conservative than his earlier work.An
informal three-storey frontage stepping back twice, with cantilevered porches
and projecting concrete balconies in the style of Tecton's Highpoint One, but
with the brick facing that modernist
architects were beginning to adopt in the later 1930s.
Branch Library. late work by the MCC. 1964-6, simple one-storey steel box.
Southgate Technical College.Stark, Middlesex County Council.big
walled range Set tactfully back so as not to dominate the older
Southgate House is insidethe Minchenden Campus of the College.Late 18th neo classical
villa.Built by Samuel Pole, 1776.Owned by the Walkers from 1844-1922 and then
became a school
has a formal prelude of terracotta trimmed shops. by Edmondson's on the
Southgate House estate with suburban housing of between the wars, spaciously
planned picturesque medley of half-timbered, roughcast and gables overlooking a little green.
Just north of the tunnels, a footbridge was provided above the tracks at
here. This was built with a span of 32ft 5'/2in and footpath width of 6ft
Rail Line – Piccadilly Tube Line
Once out of the cutting after Southgate Station tunnel the route reached a
length of embankment, then passed onto a further viaduct. Again this was
constructed of brick, and comprised eighteen semi-circular arches of 30ft span,
with a 50ft arch positioned about mid-way. The total length was 237ydsand from
its centre; the gradient began to climb at 1 in 60. This continued towards
Enfield West and was described at the time as being "in heavy hank and
Southgate 'place by southern gate', naming the hamlet which grewup by this entrance to Enfield Chase‘Suthgate’ 1370, ‘Le South Gate’ 1608. at the comer of the parish of Edmonton. It
became a separate district in 1881 and a borough in 1933. It remains a sedately
respectable suburb. On Rocque's mid-c18 map the built-up area consisted chiefly
of South Street, the present High Street stretching from the south gate of
Enfield Chase to the green at the junction with Cannon Hill, between the
estates of Grovelands and Arnolds - later Arnos Grove - and Broomfield.. In
1870 Thorne could still describe Southgate as one of the least changed villages
around London, its large mansions inhabited by 'opulent citizens and the
tall garden walls now with flats behind, hint at the older
Weselyan Chapel. Angular Gothic
The low station forms the hub of five roads. First impressions are of the
C20: 1930s shopping parades mixed with
brusque offices of the 1960s.
Parade - the elegantcurved brick parade built together with the station
Southgate Station. 13th March
1933. Between Oakwood and Arnos Grove on the Piccadilly Line. It has a Free
standing ticket hall with a playful little lantern. Carefully integrated with
curved shopping parade and bus stops. Elegant bronze uplighters on the
escalators.The street level building,
was designed by Chalres Holden, and constructed by Bovis on a circular plan and
incorporated into a shopping parade, with a pull-in for buses at the rear. The
floodlit roof was supported internally by a central pillar and there was
accommodation for five shops. With their bold sweeping lines, the'Southgate Extension' stations epitomize the
architectural styles favoured during the 1930s, and all of them have been
listed.Southgate has Grade 11 status.
Elegant bronze uplighters on the escalators.This station was located within the tunnel section, so the diameter was
increased to 21ft 21/2ins, as at Bounds Green. The booking hall boasted an
internal diameter of 58ft 9ins, and was served by three entrances and exits.
the booking hall, had been provided with Duras floor tiling on the outer half
and rubber on the inner, the escalators descended 34.70ft in a tube with a
diameter of 22ft 9ins. 'M' type machines were installed, either side of a fixed
central stairway, although foundations for a third machine were provided,
should this be deemed necessary at a later stage.Features in films 'Stevie’
Railline and Tunnel. From the northern
portal of the Southgate tunnels, the line fell at 1 in 500 initially in
cutting, with concrete retaining walls faced in brick. Original 2-tracked bore 1855, 4-tracked c. 1890.
Metro Café Features in films 'Captives’.
Winchmore Hill Road
Southgate Leisure Centre 1966 by the J. T.
W. Peat Borough Architect. Ponderous zigzagging.Pool with a steel frame clad in aggregate
panels; ponderous zigzagging roof.
The Wells. a group of commercial ice wells
operated until at least the late 1860s. The owners, Simmonds, collected ice
from nearby streams and stored it tor use by local hotels, fishmongers, etc.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by