Chantry View Road
Durbins. The house Roger Fry built for himself in 1913. He was the English discoverer of Cezanne, Picasso, and Marisa leader of the English avant-garde of 1910 and the inventor of the phrase 'significant form'. No decoration inside except two painted panels at the main entrance woman by Vanessa Bell, nudes by Duncan Grant.
Holy well, which cures sore eyes.
Site of fair, model for Bunyan’s Vanity Fair, perhaps. Established by King John
Recent three-storey weather boarded terraces,
Brabouef. inside is ahalf-timbered manor house c.1590, and panelling,ceilings, and fireplaces remain, with a plain late 17th staircase. Renovated for the College of Law and a teaching block added by Scott, Brownrigg & Turner, 1965-6.
Police Divisional Headquarters with extensive additions by the County Architect, R.J. Ash.
Old Friars. 1600 half-timbered, with curved braces making quatrefoils.
Pickards Manor. 17th farm with stone remodelled in 1965-6.
Upper Guildown Road
Towrope Roller. At the right-angle bend in the river is a posts supporting a vertical roller needed to guide the towrope so that the pull of the horses continues to be exerted in the desired direction.
Davis’s Wharf. once here where barges were loaded with chalk from the Great Quarry behind.
Guildford Rowing Club's boat-house. On the site of Davis Wharf. Two lengths of wall built mainly of chalk but with brick at the top and ends. Could have been part of the wharf boundary. The Rowing Club was formed about 1880 and uses the wide and straight stretch upstream from the boat-house.
Sluice. In the towpath, it discharges from the Navigation into a backwater. Installed as part of the River Wey Improvement Scheme of the 1930s to provide an extra route for surplus water in floods when the Millmead tumbling bay could not pass enough.
Watercourse. The land on the other side of the river is low lying and is drained by a ditch leading to a tunnel under the river. It discharges into the backwater a few yards below the sluice.
Penstocks. One in the bank and another about 150 yards away. Opened in the winter when frost was expected and the land beyond flooded to make a skating rink.
Sandy slope. Said to be the site of the 'golden ford’, which probably gave Guildford its name. This is where the Pilgrim’s Way crosses on its way to St.Catherine’s.
Clay Pipes. Made on the opposite bank to the tumbling bay. Guildford was a centre of their manufacture