London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Site of Market
House trial of Wyatt supporters. Was site of public conveniences and then
became Woolwich Building Society
Lynch House. 1899by Niven
' Wigglesworth,epitomizes the ideals of the
opposite camp. Red brickshaped gables
are the themes, on which witty variationAnd has a staircase made from the altar rails
of the church, displayed without recourse to symmetry.
Expensive church. 1878.
almost rebuilt after 1760 by Sir Charles Farnaby. seven bays, the
centre three under a pediment, and projecting tightly. The
brickwork has been rendered and is now paintedpale green.
Early c 19 porch and big additions behind. Themarble
chimneypieces in hall etc. are by Adam himself.
Houseby Leslie Gooday, 1961-2, though quite small, shows a more radical approach to
designing a house than anything else in the town. In plan the ground floor consists of two interlocked Ls, and the
bedroom block rides above them, supported independently on six piers of its own. The house is nice to look at,
Lime Tree Walk.
row of twenty-four. Architecturally especially
successful, exploiting the slope to add variety to an already varied array of
gables, dormers, and oriel windows. Red brick and rendering. Socially the
schemeeven more enterprising, and gives one a good deal of
regard for Jackson and his father, who together bought the landdeveloped it for working men, in the middle of an areamarked for 'high-class development', in an attempt to
bring down class localization. The sort of environment, cosycleverly designed, with plenty of visual variety,
which Shaw and his collaborators had produced for their middle class suburb at
Bedford Park in the 1870s, the Jacksonsready to offer
to those whom only a few like Ruskin andMorris would
have credited with the aesthetic senseto appreciate
it. 1878-9 is the date
Hall, originally a coffee house, for Sir T.G.Jackson.
Dated 1882. Dutch gables on the Coffee House. Socially
Lady Boswell’s School. 1818. Cockerell’s first
building. Almost vernacular.
Majestic Cinema. opened August 1936,
and designed by George Coles for Cohen & Raper, with 1,250 seats and a cafe
restaurant. It had a simple brick frontage to harmonise with its surroundings,
with the triple curved windows so much favoured by Coles, while the interior
scheme was green, gold, scarlet and bronze flecking, brightening the auditorium
where the seats were in vieux rose. It later became an Odeon, and then leased
by Brent Walker - 'BW' is on the door handles and it
was called 'Focus'. The Lease expired 1982, and it became ACE. the Stag Theatre is
in the former circle In the main auditorium, video
games are in the back
formation of TA
21, 23, 25
32 Anchor. the
last traditional pub the town centre.
The town is
first mentioned in 1114. Local tradition says that the name came from a clump
of seven oaks which once grew here, long since gone but replaced by seven trees
taken from Knole Park and ceremoniously planted on the common on the outskirts
of the town in 1955.
Marley Tiles offices. 1965. Modern block of brick, with windowsin long bands. 1965 by J. H. Alleyn.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n