Ponders End

 

Durant’s Park,
Saxon frontier post. 1400 Wroth family. demolished 1915. church, Site of old manor house visited by Judge Jeffries, Homestead moat


Green Street
Brimsdown School by Middlesex County Council.  1939

Hertford Road
St.James. 1831 by W. C. Lochner. A brick Commissioners' Church, with large barn-like interior. Galleries removed 1952. Rebuilt by Barrington-Baker & Partners after a fire in 1969 
Walters Yard, Walter Motor Garages was a private bus co. garage 1920s
110 – 112 Co-op Store.  Enfield Highway Co-operative Society. A big 1920s-Classical Co-op. The Cooperative movement had a strong following in the area, set up by workers at the Small Arms Factory in 1872

371 Red Lion
267 Ponders End Brewery. Adjacent to the Wjite Hart . sign for “Truman, Hanbury & Buxton” and brewery chimney Truemans Black Eagle. The brewery was extant in the late 19th run by a Harry Milliken
Eagle House. Well and pumping station behind it

Nag’s Head Road
St.Mary 1921-4 by Joseph Goldie. 


Swansea Road
Southbury Elementary School.  1905

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone