Oxted

 

Barrow Green

The Mount. Barrow in a field high and tree covered. Area called Burgh after it. Tree-dotted green tumulus. Barrows on the hillsides as evidence of Bronze Age occupation.

Church Lane

One and a half miles through the North Downs, Surrey and Sussex Junction Railway 1865 and then left, 1884 has return road to Brighton via. East Grinstead

St. Mary the Virgin. Restored in the 19th century but retains a 13th-century priest's doorway, a 15th-century west doorway and south porch and a low stocky Norman Tower.  Good brass memorials.

High Street

52 George Inn

Shorters Row. 17th timber framed

Streeters Cottage 17th timber framed and hard bitten cottages.

The Crown. 16th timber and sub Norman Shaw front

Forge House part of late medieval hall and cross wing house

Beam Cottages part of Forge House

Old Bell. 1500 too much restoration

Oxted Upper Mill.  Senex's map of 1729 shows a mill at a site on the stream behind the present Wheatsheaf public house.  There is no trace of it now.

Oxted

Old village, new planned village is round the railway station. A place of lovely old half-timbered houses and inns.

West Hill

Electric House. Fake oast house built as a road house

Old Lock up

Ivy Cottage

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone