Oakwood

 

Bramley Road

Christ the King.  1940. By Dom Constantine Bosschaerts. The first stage of an ambitiously planned priory. Reinforced concrete faced in white brick. Modernistic cubic composition with a low window band to the aisle and a blank wall above. Tower with a recessed cross. Two-storey monastic buildings adjoining. RC

Oakwood Station. 13th March 1933. Between Cockfosters and Southgate on the Piccadilly Line. Built for the London Electric Railway, Piccadilly Line from Finsbury Park. Opened as ‘Enfield West’. The street level building was designed by Holden's associate, C.H.James. The booking hall was particularly lofty with the usual passimeter booth and stairs leading down to a back gallery from which passengers could access the platform. It was covered by a concrete awning designed by Stanley Heaps. There was a concrete combined name and. poster board, and a bronze plaque in the booking hall boasted” This station is the highest point in Europe in a direct line west of the Ural Mountains ".  In 1933   The London Passenger Transport Board officially took over the Underground network and Enfield West was converted from a terminus into a through station. The necessary track and signalling alterations were carried out on the night of 29th/30th July. In 1934 the LPTB gave way to local pressure and provided Enfield West with the bracketed suffix '(Oakwood)'.  In 1946 it became simply 'Oakwood' .  Like the other ‘Southgate Extension' stations it has been Listed Grade 11

Oakwood Shopping Centre – some shops built around the station in the 1950s 

Chase Road

Suburban housing with a few modernistic touches - curved comer windows

Green Road

Council housing

Bohun Library & Clinic.  By Burchett of the MCC, 1939, in a Dudok-modern style. The MCC were involved because Southgate had not adopted the Libraries Act. A neat cubic composition faced in red brick, with a tall stair- tower; generous glazing to the library on the first floor.

De Bohun Primary School

Merrivale Road

Piccadilly line on then a further three-arch bridge

Oakwood

The area is part of the woodland of Enfield Chase which in the 13th and 14th belonged to the De Bohun family.

Oakwood School. Opened 1927

Oakwood Park

Oak Lodge. In 1870 Samuel Sugden, an homeopathic chemist, renovated a farmhouse and renamed it.   Demolished in 1920 and Southgate Council renamed the area Oakwood.

Avenue of scarlet oak trees planted annually by the Mayor since 1945.

The route of the Piccadilly line passes beneath a single arch brick bridge providing access to Oakwood Park,

Prince George Avenue

St.Thomas. Built in 1939 by Romilly. Crazy in brick, with a covered approach. Tower built 1965 by William Mulvey. Stained Glass. Window in the Lady Chapel by Alfred Fisher, 1965.

Priory Close

Priory of Our Lady Queen of Heaven.  1941 for Benedictine nuns.

Reservoir Road

Council housing

Southgate reservoir?

Covered 1m galls.  New River Co.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone