Oakwood

 

Bramley Road
Christ the King.  1940. By Dom Constantine Bosschaerts. The first stage of an ambitiously planned priory. 
Oakwood Station. 13th March 1933. Between Cockfosters and Southgate on the Piccadilly Line. Built for the London Electric Railway, Piccadilly Line from Finsbury Park. Opened as ‘Enfield West’. The street level building was designed by Holden's associate, C.H.James. The booking hall was particularly lofty with the usual passimeter booth and stairs leading down to a back gallery from which passengers could access the platform. It was covered by a concrete awning designed by Stanley Heaps. There was a concrete combined name and. poster board, and a bronze plaque in the booking hall boasted” This station is the highest point in Europe in a direct line west of the Ural Mountains ".  In 1933   The London Passenger Transport Board officially took over the Underground network and Enfield West was converted from a terminus into a through station. The necessary track and signalling alterations were carried out on the night of 29th/30th July. In 1934 the LPTB gave way to local pressure and provided Enfield West with the bracketed suffix '(Oakwood)'.  In 1946 it became simply 'Oakwood' .  Like the other ‘Southgate Extension' stations it has been Listed Grade 11

Chase Road

Green Road
Council housing
Bohun Library & Clinic.  By Burchett of the MCC, 1939, in a Dudok-modern style. The MCC were involved because Southgate had not adopted the Libraries Act. 
De Bohun Primary School

Merrivale Road
Piccadilly line on then a further three-arch bridge

Oakwood
The area is part of the woodland of Enfield Chase which in the 13th and 14th belonged to the De Bohun family.
Oakwood School. Opened 1927
Oakwood Park
Oak Lodge. In 1870 Samuel Sugden, an homeopathic chemist, renovated a farmhouse and renamed it.   Demolished in 1920 and Southgate Council renamed the area Oakwood.
Avenue of scarlet oak trees planted annually by the Mayor since 1945.
The route of the Piccadilly line passes beneath a single arch brick bridge providing access to Oakwood Park,
Prince George Avenue
St.Thomas. Built in 1939 by Romilly. with a covered approach. Tower built 1965 by William Mulvey. 
Priory Close
Priory of Our Lady Queen of Heaven.  1941 for Benedictine nuns.
Reservoir Road
Southgate reservoir?
Covered 1m galls.  New River Co.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone