London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
54 Unusual collection of exotics, cacti and
Australasian plants. Palm trees, tree ferns and bananas set in an original
design. Elevated deck overlooks thegarden underplanted with rare ferns and aroids beside a trickling brook.
156-186 Robert de Burgh 1934
Northwood Hills Station. 13th
November 1933. Between Northwood and Pinner on the Metropolitan Line. Opened by
the Metropolitan Line. Name was the result of a competition although the area
is lower than Northwood itself.Built on condition that the
developer indemnified it against loss for five years, but this was never
Northwood Hills Hotel. Where Elton John
first played age 16 for £1 a night plus the whip.
Northwood Hills Estate
Called this to sound posh. It was part of Ruislip Common and remained rural
until the early 20thThe higher ground at Northwood Hills
is the site of Northwood Farm on the Ordnance Survey map of 1880 - now New
Two well preserved woods.Progressive semi modern developments from 1933 when the tube came.
Supermarket on the site of the Odeon cinema. Became the Rex cinema
demolished in 1975
Pinner Hosdpital. Just a hut in 1919 and not extended until 1925.
St.Edmund the King. Religious services in 1935 were held in a tent on the
site until the church was built in 1964.
30 Frome Court. Childhood home of Elton
Northwood Secondary School Extension, system built, a bit of character
28 Front gravel garden with unusual plants
and features. Back garden has terrace with groups of small and large pots and
steps leading to plantsman's garden. 18ft pergola with many rare climbers,
water features, raised beds, natural bog area and small pond. Large plant sale
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by