London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
1905 suburban developments
Frank Carew developments 1905
17 Greenend was Greenhill Farm
Duck's Hill Road
Marked thus on Rocque's map of 1754 and on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822,
so named from the local Duckfe family recorded in the 16th-century parish
registers.Site of the Ruislip
Lodge to Northwood Park
Northwood Hall was Maze Farm in the
nineteenth century rebuilt as part of the Northwood Estate. Later used as a
boys’ school and became Denville Hall. Actor's Charitable Homes.Denville Hall was Northwood Park built 19th
by Uxbridge timber merchant, Norton.Shooting range embellished with two 18th bronze cannon from
HMS Association - fired on Trafalgar Day. Set up by Alfred Denville.
Folly rotunda – inside is very special full of saints and angels.
Shooting Lodge & two canons from HMS Associate.
Farm on the high point.
Maze Farm bought in 1850 by Daniel Norton
and he built the Northwood Estate. Sold in 1902.
Duck’s Hill Plantation. Joseph Cann big
house built used by American special forces in the Second World War.Renamed Battle of Britain House. Used as a
school but burnt down in 1984. Site is now woodland.
London Bible College.
27 Syhran Moon. Wetherspoon's house
festooned with attractive hanging baskets and Framed photos of old
Northwood village decorate the walls inside
53-55 used in the TV Series The Good Life.
Northwood College 1893.
Northwood Grange, Elizabethan, fifteenth century, site of grange in. timber
frame, flint setts
Holy Trinity .1854 plain Teulon-
almost humdrum.Financed by a
Grosvenor.Tombs of the Ebury
family.Tomb of Russian ambassador with
a big cross of Siberian jasper.Stained
glass windows for Teulon made locally by Popwells.
Church school being rebuilt
Grange. Manorial grange here in 1248 and may be on the same site. 15th
plus 1600 additions
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis