London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Stellar House, Haringey’s last tower block.
Corner of Clive Avenue, Barratt motor garage for private buses, 1920s,
became a car park, became London General Omnibus Co. garage in 1926
low-rise groups built for Haringey by Colin St J. Wilson
& Partners, 1973-5: a crisp cottagey group in dark brick with timber
porches, and nicely scaled three-storey flats with balconies to a grassed
courtyard. A common room at one end.
St.John the Evangelist. 1905. Lean and eccentric brick Gothic. Arts and
Grosvenor Carriage Company
Edmonton Gas Works.Tottenham and
District Gas Co. largest 1914-23 7m cu.ft. Three holders.The largest, built 1914-23, holds seven
million cubic feet. It is about 180 feet high with box-lattice guide-frame
of unusual trapezoidal section, simplifying the design of the girders.
Station. 15th September 1840. Between Tottenham Hale
and Angel Road on One Railway.Opened by
the Northern and Eastern Railway on line between Stratford and Broxbourne in
1840, was called Marsh Lane and thenPark Station and in 1923 it was renamed Northumberland Park.
Vestiges 2-7 67
service road to the grounds of
shops a stuccoed row dated 1866, a surprising
Curving street laid out in the 1850s on land behind the site of the Black
The Black house. a mansion owned by the Dukes of Northumberland. the Tottenham Hotspur Football Club, who play
nearby get their name through the same aristocratic connection - Hotspur being
originally the nickname for Sir Henry Percy eldest son of the 1st Earl of
Northumberland, whose fiery character figures in Shakespeare's Richard II
andHenry IV. a Tottenham resident, Hugh
Smithson, married in the 18th century into the Percy family,
eventually becoming Duke himself..
A street and estate laid out in the 1850s. The nearby district is referred
to as Park on the Ordnance Survey maps of 1877 and 1904, and an earlier reference is the field name
‘Parkefeld’ 1502 - there was in fact a hunting park in this vicinity in the
Northumberland Estate. Slab blocks begun by
the Borough of Tottenham in the 1950s.sprawling slab blocks and lower terraces
begun by the Borough of Tottenham in the late 1950s and continued into the
1970s.The estate covered a medieval
farmhouse and some disused industrial sites.
Victoria Line Depot, in the open. 1968
Home of Charles Bradlaugh. There is a block of flats with his name.
Victorian freethinker expelled from the House of Commons and imprisoned in the
clock tower there..
Tottenham Hotspur Football club originally played on farmland here beside
the railway line.
St. Paul 1971
Service road to the back of Tottenham Hotspur grounds
Stuccoed shops of 1866, surprising survival
Sutherland Park Road?
Northumberland Park School moved here in the 1970s having previously been
in Tottenham County School buildings.
175 International House. Gerhardt Engineering.Stylish
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis