Friends Meeting House. 1966-7 by H.V.Sprince. flat roofs stepping up from the hall to the warden's flat at the back.
Connecting North Finchley to Church End. Extended there in 1816 when the common was enclosed and then the main road taken on to the Great North Road.
Built and opened after enclosure of the common in 1814. Named for its shape.
Finchley Memorial Hospital. The earliest part was built as a cottage hospital, 1908 by E. I'Anson & Son; In the entrance hall are bronze busts to the donors, Mr and Mrs Ebenezer Homan of Watch. War memorial.
Christ Church built 1860s.
‘Follow Corner’ 1680, ‘Fallow Corner’ 1710, that is 'land in the comer of a field, or by a road junction, left fallow or uncultivated'. This was uncultivated land on the corner of Finchley Common. The name is first recorded in 1429 and Fallow or Cobleys Farm was there in the 17th. Estate owned by Clulow and Child families until the late 19th. Later named Etchingham Park after the Clulow estate in Sussex.
Workhouse in this area from 1768.
Wimbish Farm sold early 20th and farmhouse demolished.
Mattress factory early 20th with a same day restuffing service.
Fallow Cottage sold in 1939 to Wood and Wallers who built flats there. Plaque to Joseph Grimaldi who lived at Fallow Cottage. 1806-1815.
Laid out around the site of Fallow Lodge
Fallow Lodge, large house in the area – in the early 20th its 13 acre grounds were sold as 101 plots. Dickens wrote ‘Martin Chuzzlewit’ there.
Preserved and used as a leisure centre.
These sites follow the gentle slopes of Bounds Green Brook Valley. Combined with Coppet's Wood and adjacent open land this was part of Finchley Common. In 1835 the area was bought by Finchley Council, partly for building. Pond valuable to amphibians.
Fallow Farmhouse was just west of the close. Enlarged after 1814 and enclosure of the common. Built over in the early 20th.
Leisure Centre. Developed in 1993-6 by SBT Planning for THI Leisure Parks on the site of the old municipal Lido. Around a large car park,
The London Borough of Barnet re-developed the old outdoor pool site as the Great North Leisure Park, It now consists of the Finchley Lido Leisure Centre with an indoor and a very small outdoor swimming pool. There is also a cinema, a bowling alley, and restaurants. These all opened in May 1996.
Finchley open air pool was on this site This was opened in In 1931 hy Finchley Borough Council, and was designed by P T Harrison. The main pool was heated and thus remained open until November. It was opened by the Duke of York in 1932. It had a poolside colonnade of Doric columns, with fountains on either side. The children's pool was opened in 1934 by the Lord Mayor of London with a central cascade flanked by arcades built into the hillside. The pool was used in the 1948 Olympic Games for the preliminary rounds of the men's water polo. It closed in 1992 and the original pool building is now used as a restaurant.
Hollywood Bowl. Warner Bros' bowling alley and cinemas. The cinemas, by Unick Architects, have a upstairs space-age foyer where flashing disco lights provide the 1990s equivalent to the interiors of the 1930s.
Swimming Pool. The swimming pool is light and airy inside.
Row of restaurants. All of grey block work and red trim
Large green with houses round it
Glebe Land, all that is left of Finchley Common, General Monk drew up his troops here in 1745 for Prince Charles, highwaymen Stevenson,
Finchley Tram depot, bus garage
Area developed by Finchley UDC for inter war council housing
Woodhouse Sixth Form Centre. rebuilt for G.W. Wright Ingle in 1888. The service wing with a former billiard room dates from the 1880s, but the main range incorporates an earlier house. This is probably the house, which belonged from 1788 to the plasterer Thomas Collins. In the entrance hall are two roundels one of a man reading and another of a man teaching a youth.