North Finchley

 

Castle Road

Car parks between here and Stanhope Road have manhole covers indicating underground water

Church Path

Old right of way preserved amidst the suburban villas

Friern Park

Pillar-box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London.  Foundry; Britannia Foundry and Engineering Works.  Anonymous Lower posting aperture Large 19 in dia, 1884

Green Bank

Trimming marked by Corinthian capital with strategically grouped two storey terrace like Soane

High Road

Was built as the Great North Road in 1826.

Holy Trinity

St.Paul

Odeon cinema, built as the Gaumont. Film making equipment in the frieze, 1930.  Closed 1979. Demolished 1989.

Artsdepot on the site of the Odeon.

704 Argos expressionist moulded verticals.

659-661 Victorian villas

776 1906 Free style with art nouveau leaning.  Two punchy towers

790 terracotta

Sainsbury's 1980s ground level interest

759 Harveys Beds.  Tall with fancy brickwork

765 former bank 1965.  Stone dressings and festively garlanded. Features in films 'Shaun of the Dead’.

891 Malt and Hops

Grand Parade.  Dubiously named. Streamlined Dudock manner.  Colour tiles

Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London.  Foundry; Britannia Later E VII R cypher Large 19" dia. 1901 - 1904

Lodge Lane

Early 1820s there was a blacksmith and some others here.

Torrington Cottage.  Three bay villa

Northside School built as North Finchley Board School in 1884.  Refurbished school opened by David Jason in 2002.

Home of David Jason.

North Finchley

Developed along the Great North Road only after the enclosure of Finchley Common in 1816.  From the late 15th it was a place but there were no permanently inhabited buildings. Common land used for troop camps. After the Great North Road in 1826 was built a few buildings began arrive.

Ravensdale Avenue

Milestone

North Finchley Library 1936 by Percival T. Harrison, Borough Engineer and Surveyor. Pleasant Neo-Georgian, the ground floor of rusticated brick with arched windows. Reading room and children's library flanking the entrance, separated by glazed screens.

St.Andrew's Close

Nicely detailed arts and crafts house 1930.

42 19th villas with bold eaves

North London Hospice 1990-2

Tally Ho corner

Area began to be built up after the building of the road in 1826. Was a cyclists meeting place, name was Tallow Corner Tally-ho Corner has a fine ring about it but the fact is that there is not much history or nostalgia about this part of the road

Tally Ho. Used for the London-Birmingham stage coach from the time the road was built in 1826.   The current pub was built as the Park Hotel in 1860. Gables all round and Shavian Ipswich windows.

A one-way system takes the road by an awkward turn to the left and past the face of the Tally Ho.

Torrington – one of the earliest buildings in the 1820s at Tally Ho Corner.

Torrington Park

32-38 best of the Victorian villas

Home of Eric Morecombe.

Woodside Avenue

21 Nansen Village.  Flats for overseas postgrads.  Very tight budget.  Brutally romantic

Pillar box by A. Handyside & Co. Ltd. Derby & London.  Foundry; Britannia Foundry and Engineering Works.  V.R. cypher.  Large 19" diameter.  1887 - c.1899

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone