London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Firing Range The
scrub land below Great Church Wood, Woldingham, accommodated a firing range with
retractable targets during World War I. Leased by the 1st Volunteer Battalion
of the Queens Royal West Surrey Regiment. Ranges, buttresses and huts were
built and used through the 1930s and in the Second World War. Foundations, etc.
Still remain and considerable earthworks in the butts..
Great Church Wood
Managed by the Woodland Trust along with Marden Park Wood
and a site of Special Scientific Interest.It is on a slope overlooking a dry valley. In the wood the parish and
manor boundary is marked by a large lytchet bank with a ditch on the upslope
side. Many flints and prehistoric remains found in the wood.
Golf Course. Barrowleys was the name of the field to the
east of the wood, where the golf course has now been built. Three barrows
appear on 19th maps.
intended torun the railway line
through here from the abortive Channeltunnel.
village of Marden was wiped out by theBlack
Death in 1348.
Hearthstone mine.Marden mine is one of the series ofunderground workings
high on the Downsbeneath the lodge to MardenPark.It is possibly the
'Marden New Stone Quarry'described in a lease
of 1849. It was originallyan underground stone quarry but this century,until 1955, it was dug as a hearthstone mine.Below ground the
contrast between thegalleries used for
these purposes can be seen.Externally its principal features are the deeprectangular brick-lined shaft whose top isconcealed near the lodge at the entrance toMarden Park; the 4 ft diameter concrete pipewhich was inserted into an original mineentrance at the foot of the cliff in 1983, and apartially filled now dry well near this entrance.The landowner laid
the concrete pipefor unknown
purposes.During WWII the older parts of this extensivequarry were used as a bonded liquor storeand a Customs and Excise post was establishedat one of the entrances.After the war the mine remained sealed untilcavers entered it by clearing and descendingthe shaft in 1978.Quarrying tools were foundand are preserved in
the Croydon NaturalHistory and
Scientific Society Ltd's museum.Today in Marden one can find clear spaces,brick partitions and steel doors (which areevidence of the bonded liquor store days);evidence of an early plate railway; and tracesof mushroom growing which took place beforeWWII.More
sinister are small recent roof-falls,
indicate the instability of the mine.
Hill Mine.Slightly to the east
of Marden quarry but still inthe dell below
Marden Park Lodge are theremains of a drift
entrance, which is assumed tolead into Cob Hill
mine.This is mentioned ingovernment mining records of 1899 but hasnot been entered in recent times.
Gnomeys.In the vicinity of
Marden and Cob Hill mines isa shallow series of
short disconnected subterranean passages in very soft rock, which havebeen dubbed 'The Gnomeys'.Their purpose isnot known.
The Rabbit Mine This is one of series
of Upper Greensand mines along the Godstone escarpment and fills the gap
between the Marden and Cob Hill Mines. It may predate these mines as it appears
that waste material from them was used to backfill Rabbit. Christmas Chamber
produced a well preserved- miner's pick.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by