London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Loughton High Road
Old Loughton Station. Built by the Eastern Counties Railway
on theLine from Loughton Junction.It
was then The end of the line with a, turntable. It was In Loughton High Road on
the site of what is now Lopping Hall. When the station was closed the
approaches were used for a goods yard and carriage sidings and for excursion
Field to the east let as a fair ground
for tourists arriving by railway.
Loughton Station.22nd August 1856.
Between Buckhurst Hill and Debden on the Central Line.In 1865 it was opened on the present site
having been rebuilt when the line to Ongar
was opened. It was 200 yards south of the original station. In 1940 it was
rebuilt to the east of the old station as part of the New Works Programme and
this was like an LT station although the old LNER steam service continued..
In1948 the Central Line was
opened. This Grade II listed building was designed by John Murray Easton &
Robertson Fellowes for London and North Eastern Railway on behalf of London
Transport and it was designed slightly differently from LT stations. It is a high, square block with large arched
windows high up.The front has wings
either side and a southern single story extension. It is finished in gault
brick. A subway goes from the high arched ticket hall to two island platforms
with gull-wing canopies, altered in the 1980s. timber platform benches, with
the London Underground roundel making up the seat backs, survive.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n