London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Evidence of Roman
St.Andrew. 1895 Blomfield not at home in
Gothic. Arts and Crafts reredos.
Church Hall 1959.
Mill House 17th mill removed 1925
Joyce’s-on-the-Chart which is the restored
village bakery, now a teashop and restaurant.Small crude wooden plaques from Oxted e mill are on exhibit (1993). The plaques, Heasman family heirlooms, read:
THIS NEW MILL WAS BUILT 1892-1895.Geo.WORSSELL, CARPENTER, OXTED.F SALES, BRICKLAYER, OXTED, Wall SHOVE,
BRICK- LAYER, OXTED.FIRST STARTED TO
GRIND WITH MACHINERY 19th JUNE 1893, 21 MINUTES PAST 3 PM. BINS BUILT DECEMBER
1893, Geo WORSSALL DECEMBER 8th 1893, Mr. AND Mrs HEASMAN, CAROLINE HEASMAN,
DAUGHTER; FLORANCE HEASMAN, DAUGHTER; HILTON HEASMAN SON, ALL ILL WITH
INFLUENZA. SIGNED Geo WORSSELL
Chert Pit traces of former pits may be
detected in the south side of the B269
Chert Pit traces of former pits may be
detected east of the church.
Medieval pottery industry in the Limpsfield
area which was believed to have flourished in the years 1250-1350. It served
the Reigate and 'Croydon areas and the pottery
was hand-made without the use of a wheel
Dark grey banks of waste were created by
Limpsfield Chart Windmill.This was a post mill situated on the eastward
extension of the greensand ridge and built early in the nineteenth century. It
was demolished in 1925 but its site is easy to find since it stood between
Windmill Cottage and Mill Cottage which is a timber framed house at the
junction of Tally Road
and Stoneleigh Road.
There are photographs of the mill in the nearby Carpenter's Arms. Information
about the mill comes from a bill of sale in 1831, photographs (including one of
the demolition), local memory and local records. It seems that until 1876 a
steam engine supplemented the wind power. However the most curious fact was
that it was a left-handed windmill. Normally the sweeps of a windmill will be
seen to rotate in an anti-clockwise direction as viewed facing them. The reason
for Limpsfield Chart Windmill doing the opposite is not known.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n