Kippington

 

Ashgrove Road

West Heath School. Pretty archaeological puzzle. May be Basevi. The date of first building was no earlier than 1760. Nothing more known except that Basevi worked here in 1828 for William Diamand, who financed much of the building of Belgrave Square. There are clearly two parts, but both look of the early 19th. A minimally Gothic half in yellow brick extends to a minimally Gothic stable yard, with a classical block, almost an independent house. This is of grey brick with stone dressings, and is certainly an addition join on the front. It is presumably Basevi's contribution.  Entrance porch on Doric columns. Window frames, pedimented below, above on brackets. Raised brick pins. The style is no longer Grecian, but has a pre-Victorian refinement. Inside is more to puzzle over. Handsome room in the NE corner of the Gothic range. Largely remodelled in the early C20 in a neo- style. But two white marble chimneypieces here are Basevi's, one in the room with bronze female, the other with a wreath round the fireplace. Recessed Doric columns

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone