Higham Hill

 

Ardleigh Road,

Part of Warner Co development to Penhyrn Crescent 1927-8 after having bought Moons Farm

Billet Road

Roger Ascham junior school from 1929

Billet Road/Pennant Terrace estate built by Warner Co in co- operation with the borough council 1912 on garden city lines

Electricity sub station Part of the original infrastructure when this area was first developed.

Electricity sub station a red-brick, electricity sub station, on south side of the road, with a panel above the door with date and inscription: WUDC 1925. Now in new use, named The Old Sub Station'

Billet Road Works a quite substantial, two-storey red brick building, part of Kimberley Industrial Estate a trading estate set up c1925 with associated local housing

123 Electricity Sub station. Red brick WUDC 1925

Associated Fire Alarm Factory built in the 1961

Brampton Works built in 1933 by Libraco. Came from Hackney. Subsidiaries Globe-Wernicke Bookcases and Wrighton Aircraft Ltd

Billet Road works. Part of Kimberley Industrial Estate C. 1925

Tyco factory

Burnside Avenue.

Chingford Hall Community School, Two 1970s system-built schools remodelled by Cullinan & Buck Architects, 2004, with shared outdoor play centre. The former semi-open-plan Infant School, now a Learning Support Centre, is subdivided by a bold cork wall. A typical early c21 transformation, responding to falling school rolls and the need for special teaching.

Church Road,

St Andrew's Christian Centre,  Shallow-pitched-roof cluster, by APEC, 1988, for C. of E. and Baptists, with worship centre and ancillary rooms around a hall of 1962

Claremont Road

Associated Fire Alarm factory from 1950s originally from Bethnal Green

Essex Hall, pre war council housing

Folly Lane,

William Pettit Pottery from 1868 unglazed pots, chimney pots, etc. closed 1944

Amberland

Part of old main road called Amberland Lane. Never ‘improved’

Sidney Chaplin secondary modern school 1959

Greaves pumping station & aqueduct   ELWW 1903 named after the engineer Charles Greaves  now watrsports centre. By  W B. Bryan, 1902-3. Red brick with Portland-stone dressings, the waterworks' first use of the Baroque style, with giant rusticated aedicules framing the windows. Formerly with a prominent chimney.

Higham Hill

Marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822, earlier ‘Heighamhill’ 1501, so named ‘Hecharn’ 1086 in the  Domesday Book), ‘Heyham’ 1264, ‘Heghham’ 1307, ‘Higham’ 1368, that is 'high (or chief) homestead or enclosure", from Old English ‘heah’ and ‘ham’ or ‘hamm’, with the later addition of ‘hill’. "hill by the high  village' .

This area was eventually called Higham Benstead and was owned by the Heron family until seized by the Crown because of liaison with a daughter of  Sir Thomas More.

Higham Hill itself was common land with grazing rights for locals. After enclosure the area went into a decline until suburban development in the 1870s.

Recreation ground ex gravel pit, worked by parish surveyors as road gravel until 1890s when exhausted, laid out by unemployed

Higham Hill estate of council housing from 1920.

Higham Hill Road

R.A. Rooney brush manufacturer from 1901

Highams Girls School 1793 grounds etc.

Marsh Street?

Congregational meeting house, 1895 primitive Methodists who tart it up from original of 1785. now belongs to the council

Millfield Avenue

Council housing 1920s – local authority scheme to combat overcrowding in the area.

Moons here in 1536. licence for chapel 1861, farm called Moons Farm with crypt and vault.

Priory Court Estate. well grouped and impressive.  entirely 20th in character, urban but yet not intimidating. very Continental. Local authority housing from 1946.

River Lee

Said to be a bridge here in the middle ages.

St.Andrew’s Road,

Built in 1850s to join Blackhorse and Higham Hill Roads

Sutton Road

Original Higham House was in this area but was subsequently rebuilt near Woodford Green.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone