Harefield

 

Breakspears Road
Knightcote Dairy farm owned by Greater London Council cows, etc. farm produce. Trail in the, Middlesex County Council open space
Tarleton's Lake. Managed by HMTNC to preserve plants, orchids, etc. .dominated by a lake and marsh, supports wetland species from reedmace to the delicate water forget-me-not.
Spotted Dog
Pond Close 
The Old Workhouse 

Church Hill
Countess of Derby's almshouses 17th  ‘H’ Shaped.  
Vicarage
Manor Court
Harefield House. In the grounds is the old laboratory block used to test military aircraft. Used for Inspector Morse police head quarters
Cricketers Inn, 17th 
Urwed house, 16th 
White Horse
St. Mary the Virgin church. 13th origins with evidence of Norman work. A building of flint  with an embattled tower with three bells and a sanctus bell.  Brasses and a memorial from St. Andrew Undershaft. 
Churchyard. Large country churchyard with bedpost tombstones. Anzac cemetery for Australian soldiers from the Great War. A granite obelisk erected in 1921. Monument to Sir Francis Alexander Newdegate,  Governor of Australia
Garden walls to Church Gardens Nursery. Conservation Area. 17th red brick garden walls
Green
King's Arms 17th barn
George Hotel, 1576
Great Western Hotel, 16th century
Harefield Hospital.  Middlesex County Council, Harefield Sanatorium for TB.  Opened in 1937 having been rebuilt.  Three-storey building with central administration block.  2 three-storey wings of three wards of 50 beds each.  Single storey block for children.  Recreation rooms with cinema projector. Laundry block. 190 men and 150 women and 178 children and school.  Single storey block for 18 observation cases. First heart transplants took place there.
Harefield Park was also called Bel Hammonds and became the core of Harefield Chest Hospital.
Harefield County Hospital.  Site was Harefield Place, called Harefield Lodge.  18th home of Roger Newdigate.  Hotel 1936, offices 1980.  William Baynes residence
Harefield Park
Health Centre

Harefield
In the Domesday Book and usually called ‘Herefield’ which may refer to Danish invaders as ‘here’ can mean an army.
Neolithic remains found in the area.

High Street / Park Lane
Lady Egerton's almshouses
Manor Court, 16th century
Old Treaty House, 16th century
Queen's Head Inn, fifteenth century
Three Tuns Inn, fifteenth century

Northwood Way
Harefield Academy.  Three storied timber clad building. Large span structure with two atriums and a drum containing a theatre. AEDAS 2008.

Rickmansworth Road
Union Chapel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone