Enfield

 

Baker Street,

Continuation of Green Lanes.  Drove road into London

Vicarage, Elizabethan house built in Georgian times, 16th century wings

Fox Hall 

The Bell.  Demure and tile hung

The Hop Poles.  1909 expansive and half-timbered.

172-174 18th

68 The Jolly Butchers 1906 by William Stewart, still has the florid exuberance of the turn of the century: roughcast gables, plaster frieze and domed turrets formerly flanking a central carriageway

Birkbeck Road

Brigadier Hill

Boys’ school built in the 1870s and later the girls’ school joined it on site.

Carterhatch Square?

Dissenting school of industry

Chase Side

Christ Church United Reformed Church. Built for Congregationalists to replace two earlier chapels. Started in 1874-7, by the leading Nonconformist architect John Tarring, a Gothic building to vie with those of the Anglicans. It is of Kentish rag with Bath stone dressings, cruciform with polygonal apse and a fine tower-porch with crocketed spire and diagonal buttresses topped by pinnacles. Delicately carved angel busts flank the doorway. The interior has arcades on slim quatrefoil piers with lavish carved capitals; transepts with elaborate Decorated style tracery. Fittings – marble pulpit, carved reredos and stained glass, which are also in the Anglican tradition.

Church hall, 1939.

Enfield

Standard Telephones and Cables.  Twenty-three farms in Enfield.

Gordon Hill

St Michael and All Angels. 1874, by Carpenter & Ingelow. Unfinished when services started.  West Wall only completed in 1963, in irregularly coursed stone. Handsome interior, with parts carefully differentiated. Fine timber roof. Pulpit 1904, with marble shafts.

Gordon Road

Some houses laid out by the North London Society before 1880

St. George’s RC Primary School

Halifax Road

Some houses laid out by the North London Society before 1880

Lancaster Road

United Reformed Church. 1885. Small, of polychrome brick, with circular window.

Lavender Road

Elementary School 1910

Parsonage Lane

Used to be a pond there but it was filled in 1906.

Primrose Avenue

Railway Line

The line curves west out of Enfield Chase station. Goes round the western edge of the town on a long embankment with ‘plane and other trees’.  Bridges with stone coping and red bricks.

Rosemary Avenue

St.Aubuyns, Church of St.John, 1911 Hill Fields, bought by Enfield UDC.

Golf course, elegant brick bridge carries road from the car park across the New River

Tenniswood Road

New River From the footbridge at the end of the road, the New River continues south alongside Ladysmith Road

Trinity Street

Chase Side Board School by Enfield School Board.  Very red terracotta trim.  1899

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone