London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Ainslie Wood Road
Oak woods, which were part of forest, owls and things.Associated
with Larks Wood the reserve is ancient woodland bordered by sports pitches. Larks Wood itself was part of Epping Forest
although this cluster of small woods has been separated from the main area of
woodland for 300 years, 20C housing replacing farmland. Mixed oak and hornbeam
woodland with a boundary ditch along its edge even with considerable
disturbance provides cover for tawny owl, blackcap and even spotted flycatcher.
. Oak woodland with wild service trees and bluebells.
Ainsle Wood Primary, c. 1990. A return to a vernacular tradition:
brick with pantiled roofs.
Later 1930s shopping parade with
central tower and Art Deco detail.
Chingford Mount and South Chingford
are 20th-century developments to the south of the town, near to what was
earlier called Nonnanshire
Chingford Mount Road,
Used to be called Salisbury Hall Lane
Prince Albert Hotel
215, Beech Hollow, decent Neo-Georgian, was built
as a 'Home of Rest' for women, 1935 by Arthur R. Mayston.
South Chingford Library, By Essex County Council 1935, their first
library. A single one-storey room. Brick, with tall, narrow windows; given a little
character by a mannered elliptical-arched entrance
Congregational Church, 1955 Trevor Blake. Clean-cut building of buff
brick. Tower with tiled round-arched entrance; flanking extensions. Plain
South Chingford Methodist
Church, Elegantly restrained,
faintly Georgian round-headed to clerestory and gable.
Hall of 1931 a little mosical arched window with
keystone, between broad pilasters.
Larks Wood Leisure Centre, with swimming pool, 1994 by Hazel, McCormack
& Young. The pool has a monopitch roof and horizontal timber cladding,
making an effort to respect the genius loci on the edge of Larks Wood, but is swamped by its
neighbours unimaginatively grouped around-a car park. They include indifferent
refreshment places, square pavilion housing a nursery, and a large Health and
Fitness Centre of routine kind, yellow brick with glazed and top-lit central
Larkswood Primary, 1904-13 by Frank Whitmore, Essex County
Architect. A large, low group, the range to the street has a jolly corner with
octagonal turret and pedimented windows. Other windows with hipped dormers. Behind, a more sober
range with dentilled gables, and a separate Manual Instruction Centre. Future
Old Church Road
Features in films 'It Was an Accident’.
All Saints Chingford Old Church. It stands high up, with a
view towards the Lea Valley reservoirs. It was called
the ‘green church’ and was built in the 12th century when patches of Epping
Forest were cleared, and at first it belonged to St.Paul’s. It was used in the
painting ‘Home from the Sea’ by A Hughes. It is an endearing little
building, its crumbling rubble stonework lovingly repaired and patched by C.C.
William 1929-30 when it was rebuilt as chapel of ease
to new church. There had been a long period of
decay after the new church was built on the Green. Funding came from Louisa
Boothby Heathcote, one of the family at Friday Hill. This is a genuine medieval
building – with a wall which is possibly c12, an arcade and aisle of the c13,
tower of c1400, and the chancel rebuilt in the c15. The walls are of rubble and
the windows mostly Perpendicular in style. The tiled roofs, on the side
continuing over the aisle, with domestic-looking dormer windows. There is a pretty
Tudor brick porch. Stained glass of the Annunciation from 1963 – it has Figures
against abstract background.
84 Threshers. Features in films 'It Was an Accident’.
Chingford grew quickly from the 1930s, and now only a few rural remnants can be
found buried among the houses, which by the mid-c20 had covered nearly the
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n