Chingford Mount

 

Bellestaines Place,

Road called after a 17th century farmer, called Bill Stones.

Cherrydown.

Name of local farm.

Chingford Hall

Moated farm

Church road

Green Man

Heriot Avenue

Used to be opposite old church & part of the cemetery, also called Carlonie Road & demolished by Abney Park Cemetery Co,

Chingford Mount Cemetery. Chapels burnt down – said to be by poltergeists. Opened by Abney Park Cemetery Company in 1884 on the site of Caroline Mount House and later The Council bought it. Trees, planes, Cedars.. Burials from old City grave yards and used for reburial of remains from the grounds of Whitefield’s Tabernacle, Tottenham Court Road (1898), and Ram's Chapel Homerton (1933).  The best feature is a fine avenue of plane trees approached through the entrance, which has a semi- circle of brick piers. Discreet offices of the later c20. Among many small crowded tombstones a few granite monuments of the late c19 to early c20. Grave of Mrs. Reggie Kray as well as Reggie and Ronnie. There is  lots of space left.

Manor Farm

Stream which provided local water

Lansdowne Road,

Was Goms Road after a farm, corner old Church Road & Silverthorne Gardens

Larkswood Road

War Memorial Recreation Ground, opened 1930. Chingford's first municipal park, laid out around an existing Garden of Remembrance.  Sculpture by Jack Gardner, Tao Column

Normanshire Drive

Preserves the old name Normanshire Farm - marked thus on the Ordnance Survey maps of 1805 and 1883), which is probably identical with the earlier Normansland 1519, perhaps an altered form of ‘No mans land’, that is "land in disputed ownership' with the later substitution of ‘shire’ in the sense 'estate'.

Mount Echo Drive

Mount Echo one of the earliest big houses in the area 18th.

Old Church Road

Normanshire Farm

Suffield Hatch?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone