Bushey

 

Aldenham Road

cast-iron marker post installed to indicate the boundary of the Oxhey District formed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners on 25 March 1879. It became the Parish of St Matthew, Oxhey, by an Order-in-Council of 23 January 1880.

Bushey High Street

St James the Apostle. famous for its many complicated bell chimes. It was enlarged in the 19th by Sir Gilbert Scott but has its high 15th nave and west tower with a stair-turret. It is built of flint with a 13th chancel. There is a tympanum with the royal arms of Queen Anne, which rests on a large beam. There is a Jacobean pulpit with strapwork. There is a hatchment of Vice-Admiral Sir Thomas Thompson who fought with Nelson at the battles of the Nile and Copenhagen.

Churchyard: Graves of Sir Hubert von Herkomer and Barry Pain, who wrote poetry about the Kaiser's godlessness.

Rectory, altered in the 19th still has many of its original 18th features, including two interesting fireplaces.

Cottages Around the church a pretty group of cottages

Chalk Hill

cast-iron marker post installed to indicate the boundary of the Oxhey District formed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners on 25 March 1879. It became the Parish of St Matthew, Oxhey, by an Order-in-Council of 23 January 1880.

Haydon Road

cast-iron marker post installed to indicate the boundary of the Oxhey District formed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners on 25 March 1879. It became the Parish of St Matthew, Oxhey, by an Order-in-Council of 23 January 1880.

Lower Paddock Road

cast-iron marker post installed to indicate the boundary of the Oxhey District formed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners on 25 March 1879. It became the Parish of St Matthew, Oxhey, by an Order-in-Council of 23 January 1880.

Oxhey

Wandering Christians 500 AD settled here.  In 1612, Judge Altham built a red chapel on the site.  Copper beeches and statue of Altham.  Oak from his house.  Facsimile of what happened, house etc. burnt down in 1955 after London County Council estate built

All Saints church C.ofE. 1953 This church was built right   J beside what must be Oxhey's one Ancient Monument Oxhey Chapel

Oxhey Chapel. Built in 1612 by Sir James Altham and, although it has had a chequered history, it has now been refurbished as a holy place. There is a 16th century chair which is elaborately carved and an oak reredos which was made in 1690 from demolished Oxhey Place - the house of the founder demolished in 1688.             

Avenue Rise

Royal Masonic School 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone