London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Railway station. At one time that a rail station was proposed at Bury
Street, between Lower Edmonton and Southbury but information on this is very
Bassishaw. Funded by sale of the City church with that name.1901 by W.D. Caroe. Made redundant in 1982
and converted into flats, sensitively: the chief external alteration is a
tactful lowering of the aisle windows. A substantial building of red brick with
tall sweeping roofs and details characteristic of Caroe's Gothic. Big
nine-light window above porch and baptistery. Deeply inset doors, flanked by a
playful turret. A larger tower has windows to light the shallow chancel. The
wide nave had passage aisles and a roof of hammerbeam type. The bay remains
undivided. Foundation stone by Eric Gill. Caroe's Rood of 1912 is now at St
Alban, Ilford. Vicarage c19 style, 1901, also by Caroe. In other use.
The picture above left shows the level crossing at Bury Street before there
was a road bridge. The crossing building managed to survive until the 1960s.
The road bridge appears on the 1894
OS Map where it is clear that the embankment and bridge run to the north of the
level crossing and the peculiar layout at the ends of Croyland Road and
Chichester Road and the casually placed garages (now redeveloped on the
Croyland Road side) suddenly make sense as highlighting the old line of Bury
Street. There is no obvious trace of the level crossing in the modern photo of
the area (right
Primary School 1937. The expanding suburbs of between the wars demanded a
stream of schools from the MCC. Quite Baroque, a formal composition of
one-storey pavilions. Centre with hipped roof and cupola
St.Alphege. Quiet pale.1957-8 by
Edward Maufe. Quiet, brick, a tall portal-framed centre with overhanging eaves
and bell-turret with sculpture of St Alphege. E wall with crucifixion against a
circular window; aisle windows with 30s- looking stepped heads. Traditional long
nave originally made more interesting by a sunken choir area. Chapel with
folding screen; hall enlarged from the original one in the aisle. Font with
wavy line decoration. Pulpit neatly built out on the wall. Paintings: Crucifixion
and two smaller paintings C. Pearson, given in the 1970s.
groups nicely with the church, with a pedimented gable
St.Edmund. RC 1903 founded by Redemtionist priests. Eclectic Gothic. 1905-7
by E. Doran Webb. Eclectic Gothic, coursed with low lean-to aisles and squat
crossing tower. A dark clerestory-less interior. Altar by David Stokes, carved
by Bernard Dotliff 1957. Worth a special visit for the two abstract stained
glass windows of 1982 by Mark Angus: s transept, with a strong vertical red
band and blue-green around the chancel s window, symbolizing water and baptism,
is blue and green.
Presbytery former monastery gabled, with tall chimneys,
School 1912 in the same white stone as the church.
308a Forest Primary Care Centre.One of the first of new type of primary care
centre. Glass and steel building. Landscaped roof with natural lighting.
Dransfield Owens de Silva 2006
The Cock 1900 exuberant gross Jacobean
Houndsfield Road Centre. Library and school feeding centre 1937 by T.A.
Wilkinson of the Borough Architect's Department, two storeys, plain but
dignified, of dark brick with stone portal.
Bury Street Junction built by the Great
Eastern Railway c.1890 for the loop to Southbury.
Edmonton bus garage
Edmonton Empire designed by Cecil Masey and
Theodore Komisarjevsi and completed in 1933. Its site was that the old Edmonton
Empire Music Hall which had only been built as recently as 1908, a clear
indication of the swift change in allegiance of the general public. Seating
2,500 people, the 'Empire' was remarkable for its 'fog-catching' ventilation
system, reminding us that the Victorian 'pea-souper' lasted until after the
Clean Air Act of 1956. Komisarjevsky's work on the ultra-modern interior had
something in common with the contemporary Dutch de Stiji movement. The organ
grills on either side of the proscenium were finished in aluminium. The
disappearing organ was considered to be one of the most elaborate in the
country when new.
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n