London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Most of the land between the towpath
and the A3 road is Guildford's Riverside Park. When the Borough Council created
this leisure area it bridged the ditch and made a route for pedestrians between
the Park and the towpath.
and the Clandon Estate
Stoke Lock is often said to have been built at the same
time as the 'flowing river' as the experimental lock at
StokeErected by Richard Weston in
1630s.This may be so but, unless at that time substantial barges were already
navigating the natural river here, nothing so expensive as a pound lock would
have been needed. A dam
or weir would have sufficed to divert water into Sir Richard's channel. A few
removable paddles in this would make the structure into a flash lock enabling
vessels to pass, albeit withsome
difficulty. This was the commonest type of lock at the time.
Stoke Lock Cottage. built in 1882. There seems to have been an
Shagdon Roll. Some 600 yards upstream of Old Bucks Weir the
National Trust boundary encompasses a loop of the river once the course of the Navigation. It was known as
Shagdon Roll and was cut through in the 1930s as part of the River Wey
Improvement Scheme. The short new channel became the course of the Navigation
here but the old river bed and the towpath beside it were not surrendered. They
remain part of the Navigation. The piece of land between the present Navigation
channel and the former towpath was not transferred to the Navigation or, it
appears, to anyone else, so it probably belongs to the County Council but it is
doubtful if that is known at County Hall.
Channel - Just above the lock leading off to the north
behind the lock cottage is a short channel. This is thought to be part of Sir
'flowing river' dug in 1616-20 to flood his meadows. It heads in the right
direction but after a mile or so ball trace of it has disappeared.
years Guildford's rubbish was tipped here and there was a cattle market. Waste
is still collected here
and an industrial estate now occupies much of the site.
Stoke Cut.It has
been suggested that Stoke Cut from Stoke Bridge to the lock may have been the
first stretch of 'flowing river' widened and deepened in the early 1650s to
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by